Shed Wiring Alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Having read the topics on extending a circuit to a shed, I was wondering whether it would just be possible for me to run, what is essentially, a very long extension? Similar to the standard extensions you find, could I just extend the wiring to 10 metres and have the sockets built into the shed and the plug attached into a socket that's already 32amp RCD protected at the house/supply end?

I'm only just competent enough to wire up sockets and thought that this would be a cheaper, and legal, alternative to dangerously messing with Part P regulations. I intend to bury the cable underground (around 2 feet) in conduit for protection; I also toyed with the idea of running it through an old hose pipe for further insulation - is this wise?

So, do you think this would work? I can't see much of a problem as we have a 20 metre extension reel so why not just have a permanent 10 metre one? Any help and advice that you could offer would be greatly appreciated! Thank you...
John

Sponsored Links
Plugging your installation in does not avoid Part P. Installing a new circuit at the house, unless you already have a dedicated 32A socket circuit (but not a final ring circuit) is notifiable under Part P. The Part P regs are not dangerous, they are aimed at doing the job correctly and safely. As doing the job correctly will almost certainly involve notification to LABC you may as well do it properly, you can notify LABC yourself pay their fee and let them oversee compliance with the building regs. You can on the other hand get it done by a spark who is a member of a competent person scheme where it is up to them to notify LABC.

Spark123 said:
Plugging your installation in does not avoid Part P. Installing a new circuit at the house, unless you already have a dedicated 32A socket circuit (but not a final ring circuit) is notifiable under Part P. The Part P regs are not dangerous, they are aimed at doing the job correctly and safely. As doing the job correctly will almost certainly involve notification to LABC you may as well do it properly, you can notify LABC yourself pay their fee and let them oversee compliance with the building regs. You can on the other hand get it done by a spark who is a member of a competent person scheme where it is up to them to notify LABC.

Thanks for the reply, Spark, although I'm not sure I've made myself clear. All I want to do, to avoid any major wiring, outlay and notifying agencies, is to run a permanent extension. Not a spur as such, just a long socket that i can plug into my house mains. It will just be standard 3 core flex as is found on most plug extensions (I think). Not sure if I'm describing this well but if you can imagine a 4/6 way 2metre extension socket "extended" to 10 metres, with the plug ready to go into a socket at the house end and the "sockets" fixed into the shed - is this ok or do I need permission?

I don't truly understand the difference between a socket circuit and a ring circuit; all I do know is that the sockets are protected by a 32amp MCB while cooker, immersion, etc are all on their own MCBs.

Again, thanks for helping before, I hope you can help again...

If its permanent wiring as in installed wiring it is notifiable. The only exception to this rule is if it is made up of CE marked "pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections" where the manufacturer states are suitable for permanent use outside.

I was saying with the 32A was in reply to you saying you were wanting to connect it to a 32A RCD protected, if you were wanting to have a 32A supply then you would need a 32A socket to plug your 32A extension into which would need to be supplied from its own 32A circuit, not a ring final (or often referred to as a ring main) circuit. Installing this circuit itself is notifiable, I am not however condoning plugging in to avoid Part P notificaton.

Sponsored Links
the only way to bury that extension lead safely is to bury it inside earthed metal conduit. This is difficult to install, it will be easier to use steel wire earthed armour cable. This, again, is fairly tricky, but within the scope of most DIYers. Hosepipe gives no protection. if you put your spade through a hosepipe, the cable will remain live and carry on shocking you. If you put your spade through an armoured cable, the current will short to the earthed armour and trip a protective device, stopping the current flowing. Hosepipe is a waste of time.

Sorry, but what you propose is just another temporary-going-on-permenant-lash-up, only you propose it to be permenant full stop, which is foolish. Please do it properly. Electricity kills anyone, it has no prejudices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back