shed wiring for snakes, but another question

Any other method is pointless nonsense

Might have missed something but the SD3 mentioned is made for this.
Or one of these issues at least.

Sponsored Links
The SD3 option would work fine. Holmslaw isn't saying it wouldn't.

What won't work is a power failure relay whether it be a dedicated relay or a butchered emergency light.

If the heating fails but the power stays live such as an element failing, this would not be reported to the house, so the system doesn't work.

17th man igniore his idiotic comments, the answer to your problem lies in monitoring the correct effect of the equipment, ie the loss of heat. Any other method is pointless nonsense, and johnw2 is an expert at pointless meaningless nonsense.
However, as others have said, I would have thought the real concern would be about loss of adequate heating, whether due to RCD tripping or anything else (e.g. heating system failure) - so an alarm based on heat sensing might actually be what's needed. That could be wirelessly connected to house or might possibly be able to use spare cores in the supply cable.
Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

At this stage i am primarily interested in reporting a power failure to the shed, rather then any temperature control, with correct discrimination any power failure is likely to come at the shed end.

As far as stats are concerned and their reporting process i am very interested and i will be able to incorporate them into any design solution

And then ... despite your total lack of knowledge or common sense about the subject, you waffle on about some nonsense involving emergency light fittings.
Do you listen to OP's? ....
At this stage i am primarily interested in reporting a power failure to the shed, rather then any temperature control...
I have repeatedly suggested that, if power failure detection is what is required (and that's what the OP told us originally, and has now re-asserted), then it would probably be better to simply use a relay rather than trying to butcher an emergency light fitting (and if you think the emergency light idea was "nonsense", you'd better take that up with the OP, who was the one who suggested it).

Regards, John

If you can supply a minimum fixed load, then a load sensing winding or ammeter on the supply cable in the house could trigger an alarm when the load drops below the minimum.

No additional wires required.

The minimum fixed load will of course consume some electricity and add to the bills.

Or you could inject a tone into the wiring in the shed using something like a mains intercom, and have a detector in the house that alarms when the tone disappears.

I take it this is a vivarium, therefore the concern is loss of heat, therefore you need stats to indicate that loss. With the outputs wired in parallel to an alarm in the house.

The more i think about it, i am considering that. but if there is a power failure to the shed/outbuilding

1) there is no reporting to the house from the stat other than battery back up or relay.

2) it may be more important to recognise power failure to the shed/outbuilding either from the main board or db2 rather than an element because it would take a few hours to drop in temperature. I would recommend that he had more than one element in parallel

thank you as always

The SD3 option would work fine. Holmslaw isn't saying it wouldn't.

What won't work is a power failure relay whether it be a dedicated relay or a butchered emergency light.

If the heating fails but the power stays live such as an element failing, this would not be reported to the house, so the system doesn't work.

I was not on about a relay as your saying, a SD3 with a battery back up would work in all situations.

As for a logical mind, the SD3 meets and exceeds what is required Holmsaw.

Try and read my post again.

I said the SD3 will work and a relay will not.

The more i think about it, i am considering that. but if there is a power failure to the shed/outbuilding
1) there is no reporting to the house from the stat other than battery back up or relay.
If you had a simple ('passive') thermostat in the important part of the shed, connected to the house via one or two spare cores, it would be totally non-reliant on any power at the shed, and you could do what you wanted with it (to activate alarms etc.) in the house.

2) it may be more important to recognise power failure to the shed/outbuilding either from the main board or db2 rather than an element because it would take a few hours to drop in temperature.
That's an important point. It's arguably better to know that there's been a power failure and that the temperature will drop within a few hours than to not know until the temperature has already dropped. However, I still think that there should be a temperature-based alarm as well, since heating could fail (partially or completely) in the absense of power failure.

Having said all that, and moving away from electrical considerations, if we're talking about snakes and/or other ectothermic reptiles, then there is probably no need for panic about getting a rapid indication of temperature falls. Such animals will usually survive for weeks in a refrigerator, in a state which is essentially hibernation (although they won't tolerate freezing), and refrigeration is a standard veterinary technique for sedating/'anaesthetising' them.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back