Shed/workshop roof help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a wooden shed/workshop. It measures about 6.0m (l) x 3.7m (w) x 2.5m (h). Build is between 1-2m away from boundry so doesn't have to comply with building regs but I am limited to 2.5m overall height. Roof with have OSB3 decking and a single layer of felt. Expected lifespan of workshop is roughly 3-6 years maybe 8.

I need to make a decision on the design of the roof. My main concern is the overall height besides safety. From top of top plate on wall framing I've allowed for either 6" rise (154mm) for a 1/12 slope or a 12"rise (304mm) for a 2/12 slope for a pitched roof. Or 12" rise from top plate for a 1/12 flat roof with a span of roughly 3700mm. Can these sufficent or are there changes to consider?

The pitch design is very tight as you may see, with two joined 2x6 timbers forming a ridge board and roughly 1.9m 2x4 rafters at 400mm centres. If so far this is fesible, how could I shore up support? If not what changes would I need to consider?

The flat roof design makes more sense as the slope is so low on the pitch, yet using 2x5 or 2x6 rafters/joists (as span tables dictate) in the framing would push me above 2.5m as I'm already 3" off the ground and want to squeeze as much head height as I can. Is there a way to use 2x4 for the roof framing over a span of 3.7m. The span tables in the building regs don't look good but I wondered if there was a way to support the roof another way within these limitations.

I'm looking for some help and advice on how to construct it.

Thanks,

Andrew

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back