Sheepskin rug - how do you stop it from sweating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody know how this might be achieved? Should the rug be treated with a substance to prevent sweating? It is hung outside to dry from time to time but the damn thing is still apt to become rather damp on the underside. (I did try googling "How do you prevent a sheepskin rug from sweating?" but it only threw up sales info).

Thanks in advance for any help offered. ;)

Sponsored Links
Oompah. You beat me. I was going to say "Kill it, then skin it"

I've heard that sheep skins are salted to preserve them and if there's still salt in/on the skin/wool, it's the salt that is sweating. Might be a case of taking it to the dry cleaners.

Stop playing those Welsh Male Voice Choir records near it :idea:

Sponsored Links
Tell it the Big Bad Geraint won't get anywhere near it. :LOL:

Hi,
I'm newbie in this forum site...
I think you should hung your rug outside to dry it up...
Thanks for the information that i've got here..

but the damn thing is still apt to become rather damp on the underside.

The problem you might have is not the skin but the floor you are putting it on. It may not have a damp proof membrane under it.

As an experiment put a plastic sheet down and a bit of carpet over it. In a few days if there is water under it, then that is the problem.

I have the same problem in my porch and I must only cover the floor with a porous cover.

slick50 said:
I've heard that sheep skins are salted to preserve them and if there's still salt in/on the skin/wool, it's the salt that is sweating. Might be a case of taking it to the dry cleaners.

Interesting. Might consider getting it dry-cleaned, then. Thanks, slick.

wreckedit said:
The problem you might have is not the skin but the floor you are putting it on. It may not have a damp proof membrane under it.

As an experiment put a plastic sheet down and a bit of carpet over it. In a few days if there is water under it, then that is the problem.

I have the same problem in my porch and I must only cover the floor with a porous cover.

It is just laid out on a carpet. The problem is apparent even when the thing is hung up for a couple of days, either out in the garden or in the garage. :(

In that case then, we have a multi-choice question here to answer.

Does it do it a. on the line outside
b. on the line in the garage
c. on the carpet.

Answer a. Has it rained lately or is it overnight dew. What was the humidity?

b. Does the roof of the garage leak? etc.,

c. Even a carpet on concrete will not stop moisture from passing
through it if it is covered by a sheet of plastic or your rug if
the membrane is faulty.

d. Try tasting the water/moisture. Like someone said it may be
salt.

c. Google taxidermy about the salts they use to cure skin.

Try tasting the water/moisture. Like someone said it may be salt.

:eek: WTF is THAT all about... :LOL:

Has to be the most bizarre comment I've ever read... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Love it.... :LOL: :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It is based on a very sound principle. I mess about in yachts and sometimes you find water in the bilges. To tell if its a leak in the engine coolant,raw water cooling/sea water, rain/potable water you have to taste it. Sometimes there is a bit of oil or diesel with it but it is the quickest way to get to the route of the problem.

Anyway I'm have a bit of fun with this one and like your comments :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back