sheilas wingnuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i hope someone can help,does anyone have a link to show the correct way to make a coaxial end off?

cheers bigbob ;)

Sponsored Links
I know how to do it but a pic would be much better.

Let's see how good I am with words:

When you take the plug apart, you will have (I think) a plastic sleeve with an internal thread. Put this on the cable first, thread towards the end. I will call this the collar.

You will have a metal thing with a hole in the middle and four segmented legs like a dead spider. I will call this the spider.

You will have a thing with a metal tube sticking out and a plastic surround with a male thread and a metal ring round the tube. I will call this the end. (have I forgotten anything?)

Your first objective is to trim back the outer sheath of the cable, to expose the copper braid beneath.

Push this back over the sheath, and twist it round so it extends as far as the length of the segmented legs of the spider.

This will expose the plastic insulator with a single stiff copper wire in it.

Cut back some of the inner plastic insulator; enougth so that when you poke the tubular end over it, the copper wire extends (just) to the end of the tube, while the wide end sits on the outer sheath and compresses the dead spider, makings its segments dig into the copper braid.

You then run the first "collar" part back up the cable so it compresses the dead spider onto the braid and screws onto the end piece.

If you have not done one before, there may be some trial and error on how much to cut back. Try 6mm as a start.

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/bellinglee/

Sure for the initial downlead from the arial to the first amplifier in a weak signal area it may be worth being that paranoid. For the rest of your arial wiring i doubt it.

wow.....no wonder my tv ariel doesn't work that well, never knew it was so involved !!LOL :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back