Shifting Steel !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So next week I have a 6.8m steel weighing 367 kg being delivered. How many people do you think I am going to need to lift this ?

Sponsored Links
8 strong people but to be safe i would have 12 at my disposal.
Possibly hiring a crane is going to be much cheaper, quicker and safer.
Where's this steel going?

It’s my first floor support beam. I will probably hire a beam lifter but I have to get it in the building first

Sponsored Links
Might be able to roll it a bit but it will have to be passed through a window opening.

For the window, a couple of builders' trestles and a broom handle or two, ideally with a bit of metal pipe/scaf slipped over it. Set it higher than the window ledge.
Making big loops of rope or using slings can help carry it a few inches off the ground, hung on the shoulders

For the window, a couple of builders' trestles and a broom handle or two, ideally with a bit of metal pipe/scaf slipped over it. Set it higher than the window ledge.
Making big loops of rope or using slings can help carry it a few inches off the ground, hung on the shoulders
You mean a couple of body builders.
It's 350kg.
50kg each is 7 people.
Considering the length of the beam it will be awkward, hence my safe bet at 12 people, that includes trippings, backs going and lazy lifters.
A crane could take it to the window and slide it in up to a point, then it will need to be lifted.
It's a heavy bit of metal.
Aren't you able to remove some bricks and slide it into position rather than taking it in and then manoeuvre it?
It would be a lot safer and easier considering that you can rest one side on the brickwork and use a couple of supports on the other end.
Steel supports can be hired for a fiver a week.

Need to get it through the opening below.

Attachments

• 6B745366-827A-4AB3-8459-AACFDB75A58D.jpeg
    6B745366-827A-4AB3-8459-AACFDB75A58D.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 331
Which way is gonna go?
Gable to existing wall or perpendicular to the window wall?
Is there vehicular access?
If so, a crane can lift the steel over the wall and manoeuvre it more or less in its resting place.
In this case 2 people and the crane operator will be enough.

If it really cannot be safely carried/craned into position then an alternative is to have it in two sections and using plates bolt the two sections together.

If it really cannot be safely carried/craned into position then an alternative is to have it in two sections and using plates bolt the two sections together.

That would probably be the legally-compliant way.
The CDM regulations require the designer to take into account the practicalities of getting the beam in place safely. If someone slipped and hurt their back, or the beam was dropped on someone's foot, H&S would get involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back