Shifting wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok iv got two problems with my house currently:
ONE: The upstairs front bedroom walls are shifting from a 1-2 mm crack sloping from the ceiling near the outside walldown to that front wall, it doesnt cross the corner onto the front wall but thre is a smiliar crack smaller on that wall, they are not connect but both have caused the wall area above them to shift outward.
oddly the side wall crack is mid terrace above the stairwell and is also next doors wall so its odd it would shift against their house. should i cut it back and rerender with some mesh?

TWO: downstairs we blocked off the chimney a while ago, over the last 6 months or so the bottoms of both sides of the breast have started to move outwards from the floor up about a foot. the skirting boards are popping off due to the shift, bit more worried about this.

all advice welcomed, im ok with plastering and rendering but im not a bricky. thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have some movement in your building , get a structural engineer involved, he will monitor the building for movement over a set period of time and decide what course of action to take

checked with neighbour, nothing done recently, had the loft converted above the wall but think im just going to re render the crack with some mesh in it for now, the chimney breast is bit more concerning though

Sponsored Links
if your house is on a mortgage , the insurance would cover the costs involved, why cover over it will crack again and you would only panic over this. a structural engineer would place a device on the wall to measure for movement, you could look at this to give yourself piece of mind and have a happy christmas,

how much you think im loking at for an engineer to check out the crack and the chimney? i havent a clue about them

prob 3 to 4 hundred pounds, not great at this time of year i know , it may not move again for a while so these things take time to monitor, about 6 months

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back