shingles on a shallow pitched roof.

T

thatbloke

hi guys , i have a very shallow pitched lean to on the back of a thatched cottage and i need to re-roof it as the other half cannot live under asbestos sheeting.

we have decided that we would love to use shingles , purely because of them being aesthetically pleasing and in keeping with the wonky old thatched house.

does anybody have any ideas of how to go about doing this?

i am thinking 18mm ply sheeting , felt , counter batons to aid water drainage then batons to hang the shingles on.

what do you guys reckon?

P030809_130001.jpg

P030809_1302.jpg

Sponsored Links
Felt shingles will be about as "in keeping" as that flattie at t'uther end and that pink paint! :eek: :LOL:

The shingles need to be fixed direct to the ply, i.e. no counter battens.

sorry , i mean wooden shingles , not felt.
the pink is something i can do very little about (conservation area), it should be ox blood mixed into limewash but some previous owner decided to use masonry paint instead so thats another job for a later date.
the flatty box on the side will most likely be taken down at a later date and a timber framed extension put in its place.
so , anyhow , what do you reckon about wooden shingles on a roof like this?

Sponsored Links
I drew one up years ago and it was fairly conventional, unfortunately I forgot to take those particular drawings with me when I left that firm so can't remember the exact method/supplier. I think they were Western Red Cedar. There are now plenty of suppliers, you'll need to contact your chosen supplier and fix in accordance with their recommendations eg http://www.johnbrash.co.uk/downloads/cms/Shingle Specification Brochure.pdf & http://www.johnbrash.co.uk/downloads/cms/Cedar Shingle Specification.pdf

thanks guys. i am hopefully going to be starting this next week.
in order to keep mr buildings inspector happy how big/small do my rafters need to be? the ones that are there already look a tad small to me , also , the wall plate on the house side of the roof looks more like a piece of skirting. :eek:

does anyone know the regs for rafter size and spacing? or is it not that simple?

this is the wall plate on the house wall.

P030809_1629.jpg

and this is the wall plate on the external wall. you can see a wooden purlin running parallel with the external wall in the centre of the cieling , is this necessary?
or does it look like i will need to change the roof construction method altogether? the roof will be vaulted inside as the head room should it not be vaulted would be very restrictive.

P030809_162801.jpg

this is how it looks inside the kitchen (those photos were in the wood store at one end of the kitchen) , the old roof beams/branches can still be seen although they are not really doing anything now.
the walls are clay lump construction possibly dating back to the 1800's although the building isnt listed.

P120609_1414.jpg

P120609_1420.jpg

i still have not thought about insulating but id like to use hemp if i could.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back