Shiplac Cladding (upvc) replacing old wood shiplac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the cladding between the downstairs and upstairs bay windows with UPVC shiplac cladding (already purchased). The old wooden cladding has seen better days. I Was just wondering if I need to install any Damp proof membrane or felt etc before replacing the cladding?

And whats the best way to seal the edges of the bay cladding that meet the back wall of the house where the bay starts and extends away from the wall?

Cheers

Nick

Sponsored Links
not done uPVC on a bay. when i do on the roof line i just nail (special st st with plastic head) the uPVC onto the existing wood (i just make sure the wood is sound 1st).

in terms of bays - a real damp nightmare - they are only single skin - definitely put a dpm in.

i use clear silicon to seal abutting uPVC and frame sealant between gaps to the brickwork. i also always foam any gaps if possible. use uPVC strips to bridge any large gaps ie >5mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back