shiplap gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

so, been building a shed, and i'm no professional so there are imperfections here and there.

one being between some planks of the shiplap. I don't think it'll let any rain in, but with the changes in temp the boards are having a move about and I can see sunlight through in a couple of places.

Is there a recommended (i assume flexible) sealer to use between the planks on the inside? or should I just ply line it and forget about it?

I am intending to store mostly tools and garden equipment in here, but want it to last for as many years as possible.

Sponsored Links
you can put roofers felt or membrane behind the cladding. It will keep out rain, snow, dirt, insects and draughts.

I think he's already fitted the cladding, hence my edited post. A breathable membrane would be better in anycase.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I was intending to put it on the outside before cladding but just didn’t.

so, stick it on inside and clad with ply? Solve the issue?

how did you secure the planks ??
if you can get them off cleanly better to close up the gaps otherwise you may get cupping or worse

Man that would suck!

all are screwed in from the outside, so moving them now would be a pain in the rear.

there really nothing else to be done? Attached are the images of the “bad” areas in question (ignore the clear area at the top, that’s to be covered on the outside tomorrow)

Attachments

• 46F09E7A-99F1-4474-8111-9A3A8711F0EE.jpeg
    46F09E7A-99F1-4474-8111-9A3A8711F0EE.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 02E8E970-2328-4D1C-9FA0-7DDBBDDBC122.jpeg
    02E8E970-2328-4D1C-9FA0-7DDBBDDBC122.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 1BF2E13D-BEDA-4D1D-8BA8-B51D7CBD7622.jpeg
    1BF2E13D-BEDA-4D1D-8BA8-B51D7CBD7622.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 94
I assumed it was really just a limitation of the material and the fact I didn’t dry it out for a month before using it. I’d hoped I could just leave it as is, or fill the small gaps with something - or clad the inside and be done with it

assuming they are ex 5x1" shiplap the coverage should be 109mm with a 2mm expansion gap so measure the bottom off one plank over 10 planks and you should be on 1110 or there about
when you remove any plank swap the order off the first 4or 5 planks when refitting to avoid the screws just finding the same holes

How large is the overlap/tongue?

Wood will move depending on humidity etc.

Perhaps they were not clamped tight enough before screwing.

If it doesn't leak, perhaps there's not a problem.

Oh it’s not leaking at all, it’s purely light coming up from under the tongue if anything. I didn’t want to clamp them too far to allow for movement so they were only given a whack to locate I’d thought pushing too much would create more issues.

so no, purely light, not leaking at all, which is why I’m hoping I can just clad the inside and forget about it for a few years

When wood is wet, it will be at it's largest size, get some hot sunny days and it will shrink... mosty on the width, not length.

Do as you say if you have spare wood.

I’ll be ordering the ply tomorrow if that’s the easiest route to take.

I really don’t wanna worry about the shiplap unless I really have to. Was a bloody long job getting it done and I’m really keen to get using the shed asap

ok my thoughts you need to 100% sort the cladding first otherwise the inside will get damp to wet
yes you can do all sorts off temporary fixes that may or may not work but will mean far more effort and bodges in years to come

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back