Shocking bathroom company

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At this point I will remain nameless who the company is, but it’s not a well known brand. It sells premium bathrooms and I went there in good faith. The standard of workmanship was shoddy to say the least, and the company does not communicate well, I often phone them up and keep getting fobbed off. They were ordering parts wrong then blaming me, despite it being their error. The tiller they used, was lazy and spend more time smoking than on the job. When he finally started working he left the house a right mess and did a shocking off cut, I told him to re do it, and it was actually worse! Electricians came to the house, and didn’t even know what they were doing. I had to explain to them. The plumber caused a flood, because he failed to tighten up a pipe wrong, then denied all knowledge of it causing a big flood. I am fed up, and the company just doesn’t want to know. Can I legally refuse to pay the last remaining 20%?

Sponsored Links
If the standard of workmanship is truly shoddy you might get all of the money back, just counter claim if/ when they sue you for the 20%. A premium supplier is no guarantee of a premium tradesman, in fact many of the big firms seem to have a high turnover of both skilled and less experienced fitters because of the way they are treated.

Blup

If the standard of workmanship is truly shoddy you might get all of the money back, just counter claim if/ when they sue you for the 20%. A premium supplier is no guarantee of a premium tradesman, in fact many of the big firms seem to have a high turnover of both skilled and less experienced fitters because of the way they are treated.

Blup
Yes, I have learned that the hard way. I often hear bad experiences with the likes of B&Q and thought this company would be far better, but they sold a myth I think. The standard of their fitters is shocking

I would break the work down and use local trusted trades if at all possible.

Blup

Sponsored Links
At this point I will remain nameless who the company is, but it’s not a well known brand. It sells premium bathrooms and I went there in good faith. The standard of workmanship was shoddy to say the least, and the company does not communicate well, I often phone them up and keep getting fobbed off. They were ordering parts wrong then blaming me, despite it being their error. The tiller they used, was lazy and spend more time smoking than on the job. When he finally started working he left the house a right mess and did a shocking off cut, I told him to re do it, and it was actually worse! Electricians came to the house, and didn’t even know what they were doing. I had to explain to them. The plumber caused a flood, because he failed to tighten up a pipe wrong, then denied all knowledge of it causing a big flood. I am fed up, and the company just doesn’t want to know. Can I legally refuse to pay the last remaining 20%?

Have you taken photos during the work?
If you have, these will be of great help in securing legal advice for redress from the company for shoddy work.

Well, if large firms can do it I’d say you can (although it might be terms and conditions), they call it a retention.

As a kitchen/bathroom fitter I regularly get asked in the big sheds if I want to go on their books. They hand out a price list of what they charge and allocate time wise per task which means any fitter is time pressured to complete their task in the time frame or be out of pocket.

I haven't bothered cos I don't like that, for me it creates a "that'll do" culture

You can legally refuse to pay the last 20%. The firm would then need to take you to the small claims court. Before doing so, the judge will expect them to have tried to address your concerns.

We are in a similar situation. Our kitchen was fitted (badly) in December 2019 by a big company. Two weeks ago the well known company sent yet another fitter to replace all of the worktops. We still cannot use our oven. A previous engineer that came along to "fix" things accidentally pulled the oven door off, that was about 3 months ago.

I was not involved in the process but I suspect that she who scowls at me might well ask for a full (or significant) refund on the fitting. If she does, she will be the one that has to initiate the small claims process.

I have contacted, them and they just said sorry, but to me that’s just not good enough, for the stress and incompetence. I am going to ask this week, if they can knock some money off.

You can legally refuse to pay the last 20%. The firm would then need to take you to the small claims court. Before doing so, the judge will expect them to have tried to address your concerns.

We are in a similar situation. Our kitchen was fitted (badly) in December 2019 by a big company. Two weeks ago the well known company sent yet another fitter to replace all of the worktops. We still cannot use our oven. A previous engineer that came along to "fix" things accidentally pulled the oven door off, that was about 3 months ago.

I was not involved in the process but I suspect that she who scowls at me might well ask for a full (or significant) refund on the fitting. If she does, she will be the one that has to initiate the small claims process.
Too many cowboys these days, even going with a big or reputable company is no guarantee of success

As a kitchen/bathroom fitter I regularly get asked in the big sheds if I want to go on their books. They hand out a price list of what they charge and allocate time wise per task which means any fitter is time pressured to complete their task in the time frame or be out of pocket.

I haven't bothered cos I don't like that, for me it creates a "that'll do" culture
Should come and work for this company, it’s only taken 6 months to fit two bathrooms!

Well, if large firms can do it I’d say you can (although it might be terms and conditions), they call it a retention.
I think they should, they have rectified the issues, but still not to what I would call a professional standard the shower tray is not sealed properly so water seeps out, the bathroom mirror is on slack, the tiler chipped the tile and but the door threshold in wrong. The company said they will replace the tile, but it’s not the point is it?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

Blup
The tiler was very unprofessional, and kept slagging the company off, but in the end I felt sorry for him, never had a day off since January

I would break the work down and use local trusted trades if at all possible.

Blup
The company used sub contractors, which in the showroom I was assured they would not! Many sub contractors were local, and were ok, but not much pride in their work. For the second bathroom it was the companies own fitters who were even worse still

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back