shocking earth

I've disconnected the workshop and just connected the flat to the double pole rcd (really old),
That probably isn't an RCD.

supplier (seaboard) want to put new meter in but wouldn't touch it with earthing in currant state,
If the supplier is refusing to install a meter / connect the supply, it's because the installation is dangerous and must not be used.

In connecting that to the supply you have put yourself and others in danger. People could be killed as a result.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i'll do that tomorrow, thanks, it has a test button on it if that helps

this is only pic i have taken after all junk cleared,

well it's around somewhere

the
rcd/ earth leakage is bottom right of this picture

Oh Dear!

We also need a picture of the CU and the earth rod which will be interesting!
Could you please take the time to upload it and display in your posts, rather than leave for us to find on your profile page, you have been given the instruction how to do this!

But you have had the best advice you could have possibly had, get a
qualified electrician in
, as I fear you have made an illegal installation and the evidence you have given so far does not fill me with confidence this has been done safely (again illegal), nor have you performed the correct tests to make this installation.

I assume the RCD you are talking about is an old earth leakage device, which are now replaced.

again i haven't installed anything, i've just taken out old junk and reconnected supply where it was in 1st place,
i have put a new CU in workshop but it's dead, no supply to it.
the only live supply goes to the upstairs CU, which is exactly as it was

again i haven't installed anything, i've just taken out old junk and reconnected supply where it was in 1st place
Did the "old junk" you removed included a fuse between the incoming supply and the meter ?

You have a supply coming through the wall as two singles and connected to a white box.

Where do those wires through the wall come from ? Do they come straight in from outside, perhaps an over head supply that is now without any cut out or fuse in the circuit between pole and meter ?

Does the RCU you refered to have two earth terminals ?. One marked E and one marked F If it does then you need the DNO to come and make the install safe, they will probably disconnect but you deserve that for what you appear to have done.

again i haven't installed anything, i've just taken out old junk and reconnected supply where it was in 1st place,

Did you do any dead test on the installation, do the cable routes and methods conform to BS7671?
Have you done any resistance testing on the earth electrode?
I am going to take a punt that you will say, that you contacted an electrician prior to your work and discussed with them the best/safe method of your installation and took information on board for you to do the donkey work and them to come back, inspect and test. Or was it really your intention to perform an illegal install but when you found a live voltage on the earthing conductor and did not know or understand why, you then came here to seek advise?
A little honesty my friend!

Did you do any dead test on the installation, do the cable routes and methods conform to BS7671?
Have you done any resistance testing on the earth electrode?
I am going to take a punt that you will say, that you contacted an electrician prior to your work and discussed with them the best/safe method of your installation and took information on board for you to do the donkey work and them to come back, inspect and test. Or was it really your intention to perform an illegal install but when you found a live voltage on the earthing conductor and did not know or understand why, you then came here to seek advise?
A little honesty my friend!

it was always my intention to get the electrician in as i said earlier. i am just putting boxes on walls, linking them up to new CU and sparky to come and connect to mains and do his tests,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back