Shopping list for day rate electricition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are renovating our house and managed to find a good electrician on day rate. We are providing materials however.

Please can you advise what we need for first fix

Additional mains socket.

Changing main sockets.

Outside light.

Wiring for new system boiler and tank.

Wiring for alarm(alarm will be installed later)

Wiring for electrical fire place.

Wiring for spot light.

Wiring for extractor fan in kitchen and extractor fan in bathroom.

I think I need the following.

Mains socket.

Metal inserts(what size is best)

Conduit

Grey cable(which size/spec)

please advise

Sponsored Links
Can he not do time and materials?

Would probably work out cheaper if he will, because you might need 10m of 3C+E cable for the fans, which would cost him pence, but for you to buy 10M will probably be £5, plus, you're not gonna know exactly how much you'd need so will end up with wastage.

we are renovating our house and managed to find a good electrician on day rate. We are providing materials however.

Please can you advise what we need for first fix

Additional mains socket.

Changing main sockets.

Outside light.

Wiring for new system boiler and tank.

Wiring for alarm(alarm will be installed later)

Wiring for electrical fire place.

Wiring for spot light.

Wiring for extractor fan in kitchen and extractor fan in bathroom.

I think I need the following.

Mains socket.

Metal inserts(what size is best)

Conduit

Grey cable(which size/spec)

please advise

Has he or she given you an estimate of how long they expect to take for first fix and second fix?

I use a lot of subcontractors in my daily work. I, and the companies I've worked for, have never been keen on day rate. If it's a reasonably straightforward job then there's no reason not to get a fixed price, including materials.

Anyway, you need to ask your electrician about materials. He's doing the design, sizing cables based on method of installation etc. Most importantly, he's testing it and signing it off.

I doubt you need conduit by the way.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps he's gone on holiday, is uncontactable by phone or email, and needs the materials to be on site the morning he gets back.

That what he usually says, if it's the electrician I'm thinking of.

I can't think how he makes a living, with all those holidays.

Perhaps he's gone on holiday, is uncontactable by phone or email, and needs the materials to be on site the morning he get's back.

That what he usually says, if it's the electrician I'm thinking of.

I can't think how he makes a living, with all those holidays.

Ah yes, the regularly-spotted holidaying electrician. Has more holidays than the Queen.

@mrbg07546 There's a few items missing. If you are supplying ALL the materials then you'll need grommetts, wall plugs, screws, cable clips.

Re the heating system. What sort of tank? If its a unvented cylinder (ie Megaflo, etc) then you/he'll need some extra stuff. Is there an immersion in the tank?
You don't mention thermostat. Wired or wireless. Separate programmer or integrated in the boiler.
There's lots that he will/should know and must specify.

As Simon Says (cue for song):-
Anyway, you need to ask your electrician about materials. He's doing the design, sizing cables based on method of installation etc. Most importantly, he's testing it and signing it off.

It's a long story. Even if it's just the essential items I don't mind popping to the builders merchant with him for any missing items

@mrbg07546 There's a few items missing. If you are supplying ALL the materials then you'll need grommetts, wall plugs, screws, cable clips.

Re the heating system. What sort of tank? If its a unvented cylinder (ie Megaflo, etc) then you/he'll need some extra stuff. Is there an immersion in the tank?
You don't mention thermostat. Wired or wireless. Separate programmer or integrated in the boiler.
There's lots that he will/should know and must specify.

As Simon Says (cue for song):-
Unvented cylinder.

Tado thermostat

Well here's somewhat of a list then

2.5mm² Twin and Earth Cable
1.5mm² T+E (1mm² is more than likely fine, but your electrician may not like it)
1.0mm² 3 Core & Earth Cable
Twin 25/35mm Steel Knockout boxes (25mm for standard sockets / 35mm for flatplate/USB sockets or future proofing)
Single 25mm Steel Knockout Boxes
Twin Sockets
Unswitched Fused Spur (Alarm)
Switched Fused Spur (boiler+maybe heater)
20A DP Switch (if your tank has an immersion)
Single Plastic Patress (if you have an immersion)
A box of red plugs
A box of 1 1/2" Screws
1.5mm² T+E Clips
2.5mm² T+E Clips
A box of M6 Penny Washers
1 1/2" Galvanised Capping
A bag of 20mm Open Grommets

As for quantities, no idea, that's down to you

Earth sleeving. Brown and blue sleeving.
Etc
But any electrician will have all of this stuff. Surely it's easier for him/her to use their materials and bill you.

Perhaps he's gone on holiday, is uncontactable by phone or email, and needs the materials to be on site the morning he gets back. ... That what he usually says, if it's the electrician I'm thinking of. ... I can't think how he makes a living, with all those holidays.
To be serious, it's probably worth reflecting on why we hear so much about this electrician - whom I presume largely exists because a good few OPs have observed how (perhaps more so in the past!) others who have told the truth are at risk of being 'treated'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back