Short on Washing machine body.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wifey had atickle from washing machine body - checked socket and all seems well, but on closer checking found that a positive live was showing with a mains tester when touched to a bare part of the body. Hasn't blown MCBs either. Same problem with a deep fat fryer on same socket, so led extension to another part of the house and a different socket - same problem. Any ideas as it's driving me bonkers - plus I have mucky clothes mounting up.

Sponsored Links
You are not going to find that fault with a neon screw driver. Either get the proper tools or call someone in who has them & knows how to use them. You potentially have a dangerous problem.

Sponsored Links
Earth in wall socket was clamped on to sheathing - not the core, hence - no earth. Thanks for asking.

Begs the question, why is there earth leakage? Maybe it's expected to a certain degree on such an item?

Thanks for the helpful reply - but I've sorted it all on my own.
Please re-read your original post, you either did not check the original socket properly or you have the same problem on more than one socket. You may yet have a problem with the machine as the casing should have no volts to earth & any earth leakage (as raised by rjm2k) through the heating element would trip the RCD. In the interest of safety I would still recommend having the machine checked by someone qualified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back