Shortening a plastic pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The background is I put in a new basin in the ensuite over the weekend. There were no isolation valves on the pipework to make the job easier so the first thing was to put on a couple of those so the rest of the house could enjoy water whilst I worked away. The top part of the connector already had the bit of copper attached along with a compression fitting to enable the flexible hoses to connect in.

Now that I have added on the isolation valves and the new basin is much lower the plastic pipework needs to be shortened quite a bit.

As I don't have any experience of plastic pipework I don't want to start unscrewing the coupling and end up in a world of pain as I don't have any spares lying around the house for this sort of thing.

So if someone could give me a heads up on what type of connector this is and how to go about taking off a few inches off the length it would be great.

Also would I be right in thinking there are probably inserts inside the plastic pipe that I will need to remove and reuse before I start cutting through?

Thanks in advance.
8000_7648_46033_15608329_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like Hep2O.

I personally would not re-use push-fit fittings using the original O ring.

I didn't think it was push fit nor Hep20? Don't those normally need a small tool to get the pipes apart from the fitting? I had a play with the end which has received the copper pipe and the end cap just unscrews. There is a load of bits and bobs on the copper inside the end cap holding it in situ. Didn't want to mess around with the other end in case I end up with a bathroom full of water and no spares on hand.

Not all plastic fittings are demountable......if this one is, the collars will twist to undo.
There is a special cutter for slicing through plastic pipe - you can get away without it so long as you cut the end square.
Use a new insert to be safe.....there are a couple of variations (this one will have a metal insert) and the correct one will be a snug fit into the internal diameter.
Its perfectly acceptable to use a brass compression fitting onto plastic - again, use an insert and preferably a copper olive, and join on a straight run.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back