Shortest length of floorboard that's safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm guessing that having longer floorboards increases their strength. I'm not a carpenter it's just a guess. There is a very short section of floorboard between two floor joists and I wondered if it was safe.

What is the shortest length of floorboard between floor joists that's safe before it becomes better to remove more old floorboard so you have two longer ones?

These things are what being a carpenter is about imho, any idiot like me can lift cut and fit a few boards but we don't have the wisdom of the chippie to make the right choices

Thank's for sharing yours!

Sponsored Links
as long as the board has adequate support on both ends then its the span of 2 joist centers.

Mr gregers is spot on there. Unless the board is BETWEEN the joists as you said in which case it's not supported by the joists but by something nailed on the side of the joist then a span of two is good, after all the boards only have to support that distance, the joists do all the real supporting work and the boards stop you falling through the gaps.

Sponsored Links
idealy the weight is distributed over the whole floor for maximum stability and rigidity
if lots off short boards are used the floor will be bouncier than if you use longer boards

providing the majority off boards each side off the short boards cover several joists a few short boards here and there are fully acceptable and will not make the floor any bouncier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back