Should a new window have this much build up frame buildup?

So I've had a dig in my reference books (published circa 1950). I understand what they have done, I think, much because of they way it was measured up. Do you know if the person who measured up the window did they remove the original facia boards from the sides and top of the old window before measuring?

This is what he said:
“When I took out the old window frame there was nothing left (the timber window was face fixed to dormer cheeks (so not inside the frame) so I had to make another frame for the window to fit in. If I had kept the original frame and just did a insert like yours, it would have been a lot easier”
I presume the 'He' in the quote above is the window fitter.

He noticed that actually if you look carefully in the old photo there is three frames too, just the other is slim so you hardly noticed it. In the new, you can see 15mm bead of silicon. So he thinks that old slim frame plus new, accounts for the extra build up, which makes it all more obvious.
I guess the window has been replaced before and the present replacements followed the same practise.
I will say the window man has put the side facia boards over the joining faces of the multiple frames which is good thing.

Would I want the job to replace such a window 'Properly' - No, not without seeing the original plans and photos.

I hope that provides you with some re-assurance. Yes I do think it's a learning experience for you along with others on this forum.

Sponsored Links
Unless something has been added to the timber corner post to make it wider then I don't see how the window could be any bigger. Presumably the cheeks are very thin, I would probably take the opportunity to overboard with some celotex and plasterboard to improve the insulation situation.

Screenshot_20230703-084945~3.png

Unless something has been added to the timber corner post to make it wider then I don't see how the window could be any bigger. Presumably the cheeks are very thin, I would probably take the opportunity to overboard with some celotex and plasterboard to improve the insulation situation.

View attachment 307282
I wonder what you were going say about the vertical facia that you have arrowed?
The facia covers the join between the dormer frame uprights (typically 2x2 or 4x2) and the casement frame.

Sponsored Links
Really appreciate the replies. No I don’t think they lifted or investigates anything. But it does seem it’s a case that I didn’t specify and they didn’t ask (but they aren’t obligated too) and I just have to live with it. I get that without proper investigation of what is underneath, it was hard for them to know what else to do - so it wasn’t that unreasonable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back