Should an estimate be itemised?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a figure for an extension over the phone for the total amount-from a builder. He said he would send full quote in post but it is just for the total. Should it be itemised?

Sponsored Links
Has he been round to see the property?

Also ask for a quote not an estimate, a quote is legally binding, an estimate will only go up and up and up.

Andy

Yes he has been round. He was here for an hour. What I'm asking is should quote be itemised?

He should detail the work (including the materials used) for the job.

There is always going to be the problem of unforeseen circumstances that could alter the final price, on a large extended job I would expect some sort of proviso to cover this situation.

Sponsored Links
What is he basing the estimate on? Got a full set of Building Regs drawings? If not then its more of a guesstimate let alone a quote.

Should it be itemised?
Yes and no.

All generic materials should be BBA approved i.e. cement, lintels, roofing membrane etc.

Other generic stuff like bricks for example, need to be of a certain quality and rating for those below DPC etc, as do the blocks.

DPM polythene should be no less than 300mu (1200g).

All timber should be of the structural grades as specified.

Blah, blah, blah.

All of the above should be listed in your building notes in any case, so the builder will be aware of this when pricing.

However, other more cosmetic items such as say a staircase with balustrades, or a juliet balcony, or some oak post supports for a canopy, or specific roof tiles (i.e clay as opposed to cheaper concrete), or a particular type of window or door - all these items should be listed and described with more detail.

For example, I would say "juliet balcony to be Catnic 'Brecon' and supplied in powder coated black finish" etc.

The argument from the builders side is likely to be that if you don't supply an accurate spec' then how can he supply you with an accurate and explicit quotation.
Do you have an accurate and detailed drawing or a copy-pasted comic fit for the bin?

I got a figure for an extension over the phone for the total amount-from a builder. He said he would send full quote in post but it is just for the total. Should it be itemised?

For both parties protection, it would normally make clear what is specifically includes, as per a previous post, but not necessarily priced to each individual component, if that is what you mean.

Did you present specifications?

Did you supply a detailled specification for the contractor to base his estimate/quotation?

Tim

ps sorry that pesky FiremanT got in before me :cry:

The argument from the builders side is likely to be that if you don't supply an accurate spec' then how can he supply you with an accurate and explicit quotation.
Do you have an accurate and detailed drawing or a copy-pasted comic fit for the bin?
Er...I think i got there first.:cool:

Whenever I provide a quote I take care to itemise everything with detail (cost, approx time frame and a brief description of a particular job if quite complicated to the customer) I do this to show competency to my customer and mainly for my own sake as I am an extremely dilligent worker who plans and preps everything as best as possible. By this builder simply providing you with a number, it prompts the question: is he lazy? will he cut corners? is he trying to hide massive profit margins by providing you with such a bland quote?

Sponsored Links
Back