Should downpipe connect directly to the running outlet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've had to move and reconfigure a downpipe because I've fitted a new kitchen extractor and the vent is slap bang where the downpipe was. The guttering is ogee and the downpipes/bends are square....

I bought a couple of 112.5 degree offset bends, thinking that's all I'd need. The bends will need to sit lower than directly beneath the running outlet, and I thought I would be able to use a small piece of downpipe between the running outlet and the bends. But the downpipe doesn't fit onto the running outlet. I've watched some videos and on all of those the downpipe fits directly. Mind you, most of the videos were for round guttering.

So is it because I'm mix and matching different brands? Or is it normal for square downpipe not to fit directly?

I'm wondering if this will solve the problem?

https://www.toolstation.com/65mm-square-pipe-socket/p22842

And if so, is it a bodge or is one of these always needed in this scenario?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Excellent, I'll get one on order then. Thanks for confirming. I thought it was what they were for but then got confused when no one mentioned them on youtube vids I was watching, and instead said the downpipes should connect directly.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back