Should exterior lintel be joined to internal lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi good afternoon I’m just about to employ a bricklayer to install a Birtley LA single leaf lintel above the patio doors 2700mm lintel 2400mm door opening, internally there is a big concrete lintel which looks as though it was cast in situ my question is does the new external steel lintel need fastening to the internal concrete lintel thanks

Sponsored Links
No problem thanks why is it that it doesn’t need fixing to the inside

Sponsored Links
Possibly to allow individual movement between the two separate walls?

Possibly to allow individual movement between the two separate walls?
Hopefully not.

I think the OP is of the opinion that his lintel arrangement should be mimicking that of steel beam pairing, whereby beams are bolted together, in order for the beams to behave as a single unit.

The concrete lintel is doing most of the work in this case. Having said that, it's not uncommon to see the conc' fella and the outside leaf knitted together via brick tor or cast-in tie wires.

Last edited:
Originally the exterior lintel is just a row of soldier bricks above window no steel there so wanting builder to remove soldier bricks install Birtley LA lintel and replace soldier course of brickwork just wasn’t sure if new lintel would be fastened to concrete or weather it will just sit on brickwork and build soldier course back on top thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back