Should I be worried about my MDF project?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I began building a large set of shelving units to increase storage space in my bedroom, and some MDF became available on the cheap. I know that you have to be careful when working with MDF but I thought I could manage that for the ~£100 saving over something like plywood. After I'd bought the stuff and done a good portion of the work, out of curiosity I decided to check on just how careful I should be working with it (I'd been wearing a mask most of the time), when I discovered a lot of people talking about how MDF gives off formaldehyde for its entire lifetime, and how people wouldn't go near the stuff.

So now obviously I'm pretty worried.

The stuff I'm using is second hand and probably about 10 years old at a guess.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it were dangerous it would be taken off the market. 10 year old will be fine - just don't breath the dust.

I know that you have to be careful when working with MDF but I thought I could manage that for the ~£100 saving over something like plywood. After I'd bought the stuff and done a good portion of the work, out of curiosity I decided to check on just how careful I should be working with it (I'd been wearing a mask most of the time), when I discovered a lot of people talking about how MDF gives off formaldehyde for its entire lifetime, and how people wouldn't go near the stuff.

So now obviously I'm pretty worried
Don't be! The interweb (and for that matter the Daily Mail and Express) talk a great deal of absolute piffle about MDF. The biggest red herring is that it's been banned in the USA on safety grounds...... I bet that one was put about by the boys who make plywood. (BTW it isn't - and in fact one of the world's largest manufacturers is Weyerhaeuser Corp. who are American and who manufacture all over the world, including the USA)

European-manufactured MDF moved over onto the E1 or E2 standard about 12 to 15 years back which reduces the formaldehyde level to virtually zero, even when machining. Some manufacturers moved to using a PMDI binder instead of urea formaldeyhyde, but even where UF is used it is generally in the fully reacted (polymerised) form and presents little or no risk. Over the lifetime of a manufactured MDF board product outgassing is easily contained by sealing the surface, or in other words painting it. Outside of Europe manufacturers are also adopting or have already adopted E1 and E2 standards as well. In reality MDF contains far less formaldehyde than chipboard flooring, sawn softwood or hardwood these days. You'll find more data at the HSE web site.

That leaves you with the problem of machining it. Extremely fine dust can cause breathing difficulties and over prolonged periods can lead to respiratory infections such as pneumoconiosis. Breathing-in extremely fine dust particles over prolonged periods is thought by some researchers to be a sensitizer in some people and may be a contributory factor in certain forms of cancer (if the dust is inhaled) The solution is simple; saw outside if at all possible, attach a vacuum cleaner to your tools, ALWAYS wear a mask when using power tools on it and paint or otherwise seal the shelves before installing them in your child's room

Sponsored Links
another excellent WELL INFORMED post from j&kn :D ;)

may i just add some tropical hardwoods have far more dangers connected with splinters and dust but still relatively safe in moderation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back