Should I be worried about these joist hangers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have started pulling up the flooring in one of the bedrooms which is part of an extension which was built in the property a few years back.

I don't have much experience with these things but I did notice that the floor joists are attached using joist hangers and and I'm not sure if this looks right. The bedroom will have the usual amount of weight that these will need to support, wardrobe, bed, kids and so on...

These have been in placed for at least a few years, prior owners of the property did the extension.
We haven't had any major issues to date. We have seen cracks in the ceiling of the room below, nothing too serious but they do line up along with where the joist hangers are.

//media.diynot.com/216000_215220_81613_30994935_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/216000_215220_81614_96806564_thumb.jpg

Any opinions on whether this looks ok? Is this a typical way of attaching the joists?
At the very least I would have thought the top of the hangers should fold over and above the main wood beams and screwed in?
Any ideas on how I would reinforce without any major re-work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They are supposed to be wrapped over the joist and nailed with twist nails.

They are supposed to be wrapped over the joist and nailed with twist nails.

OK thanks.

So no one has said these should not be used so I assume that joist hangers are ok method to do extensions for bedrooms like this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
as XR says... they're not fitted correctly While you have the floorboards up bend them over the other way and square twist nail them in to the top of the joist.

The square twist nails have pretty meaty heads though so have a plan ready in case your floorboards don't want to sit down nicely afterwards.

FWIW, my guess is that they've used standard plasterboard nails instead of twist nails.

However, if there are at least 3 nails each side (ie a total of 6 supporting each hanger) and assuming the span of each joist is not more than around 4m, then the connection will easily support domestic loading.

Having said that, bending the tabs over the top and putting additional nails in will give extra strength.

it would be nice if you could relieve the area with a router, else your floor boards will squeak (for ever). from memory the joist hanger manufacturers, don't put holes in their products for fun, they ALL should have a fixing in them. Decent joist hanger manufacturers, actually labelled each hole with the size and type of fixing it should have.
Frank

Hi

These have been in placed for at least a few years, prior owners of the property did the extension.

Any opinions on whether this looks ok? Is this a typical way of attaching the joists?

Thanks
To me it looks fine :eek: But there are so many naysayers that you could mock up a replica of whats been done with some 6x2 in your garden then try and force the buggers apart with sledgehammer/ wrecking bar etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back