Should I be worried about these stairs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mum is moving into a new build shortly, but (amongst other things) I've got concerns about the stairs. Some of the steps are already dropping as you can see in this photo. With weight on the tread at the bottom of the photo, it's dropped and pulled down the riser opening up the gap that's visible under the left of the next tread up.

100_0727.JPG

I wasn't able to get a phot of the underside of these stairs as they've just fitted the door, it was shut, but no handle fitted yet. What I did see last time I was there (but with no camera) was that they've bodged in lengths of 3x2 under each riser - and it does look bodged. Also, there was clear signs of things having been stuck together with PU foam.

I did get photos under the stairs of the next house along which have the same construction.

100_0731.JPG

Should I be worried ?
I wouldn't have expected stairs to be failing, and be bodged, before the house is even finished. On the one hand, if there's something that needs to be fixed, it's better done now (even though it will significantly delay mum moving) than leaving it until she's already moved in, got carpets down, etc. My concern is that while these steps are open underneath, there's an identical set going up to the 2nd floor - and to do anything with them will mean ripping down the ceiling and so a lot of mess.
As it is, the house has been "ready in a few weeks" since before Christmas. Unfortunately the developer is the person who owned the land, and he's neither any experience in building, nor does he seem to have made much attempt to educate himself in "things to be done" so he keeps coming up with unexpected delays where he either didn't know something needed doing, or didn't know that he had to book them in advance (utility connections were one such delay). But mainly he clearly doesn't know enough to question any trade on their work, and so they can get away with pretty much anything - or so it seems.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's not just a poorly fitted riser?

The underside looks to be missing some of the glued on bits but otherwise looks good, to me anyway, I've had only ever fitted one staircase.

It's normal to glue those triangular blocks on, and pu glue is very strong. The gap itself isn't an indication of a structural problem, could just be inaccurate cuts needing filling/carpeting over. As you need an expansion gap, it may get worse or better throughout the year.
If the step is actually moving when walking in it, then either the wedges haven't been fitted properly or perhaps some timber has failed.

Yes, it's moving. There's no gap without weight on the step, then the weight makes it move that much and open up the gap.
I got some pictures underneath the stairs on a couple of the other houses - I'll upload them when I get a minute. To my eye, there's naff all support at the inside end of the treads.

Sponsored Links
OK, some more photos, not brilliant quality as I only had my mobile with me. I can't quite make out what, if anything, is supporting the narrow end of the treads.
IMG_20170518_140930015.jpg

In particular, in this one, it looks like there's a bit of wood "almost" supporting the rear edge of the tread and riser.
IMG_20170518_140934783.jpg

And for several of them, they clearly recognise there's a problem, why else bodge on lumps of random timber ?
IMG_20170518_140829830.jpg

They do look rough.

On mine the smaller edge fitted tightly into the newel and nothing moves, it shouldn't need that 8x2 or whatever bodged under it.

I wonder if the riser has been fitted wrong and it's making the step hover higher that where it's supposed to sit?

IMG_0814.PNG

Last edited:
you want to connect the front off the step to the riser as near to full width as possible because half the strength to the front off the tread is from the riser
and iff you go tight up to the newel you can support it onto the newel in case its badly done

My knowledge ends after straight flights, they would be housed into the string on each side with wedges to hold them firm.
It appears with a turn you don't have to/can't house it in to the newel, seems you just stack the steps up directly on each other?

the riser in your first post has been fitted wrong it should be tight in the groove of your kite ( this will cause movement and a nice creak)
i would find out who manufactured these stairs as all kites should be housed into newel posts and not nailed
when stairs arrive normally straight sections are are constructed the kites are done on site
we always chuck the glue blocks and put a solid bearer in its place

Hmm, sounds like there's sufficient doubt to insist on getting someone independent in to take a look. As it happens, I'm going with Mum to see her solicitor tomorrow so I'll ask her advice on this.

As Bob above, the winders should be housed into the newel; this is from the BS code for stairs, showing the grooves cut in the newel. (It is a built-up newel but the principle is the same for solid newels). The Code recommends min. housing depth of 12mm.
Scan0105.jpg

Thanks for that.
Looking again closely at the photos in my second post, it looks a bit like they added "random" lumps of wood to a straight newel post to provide support for the treads - so rather than cutting a slot, the've built up support.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back