Should I be worried about this?

VWW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appear to have a large-ish damp patch on some some of the brickwork on the side of my house. It doesn't appear to be coming from above or below. The house if built on a slope, so getting to that raise part underneath the house would mean ripping-up the downstairs bathroom's tiled floor. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be going on? It's a 1930s house with what I think is timber flooring. Thanks
IMG_4999.jpeg
IMG_5001.jpeg
IMG_5002.jpeg
IMG_5003.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like the damp areas are mostly below the DPC

If its a cavity wall it shouldn’t be affecting the interior.

maybe rain is blowing through the vents and soaking the brickwork inside - the cavity could be damp in those areas.

You will get rain splash off the gas meter box and the ground is much high around the other elevation, so damp could be working it’s way around

That amount of water will result in frost damage to the bricks, as it already has. It will get much worse if nothing is done.

Get all the drains inspected using a camera.

Pull a floorboard up inside above it and keep checking to see if the subfloor is filling with water when it rains.

Find the water source and eliminate it.

Sponsored Links
You've got apparent damp staining to the corner above the meter box, and damp salt staining vertically where the fence and soil stack are. Check vertically above those locations.

But fundamentally, you have long term excessive damp adjacent to the soil stack and inspection chamber - plus repairs to the pipe. You need to investigate for drainage leaks - especially if that's the only section of wall which is damp like that.

Also check internally if the floor void is holding water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back