Should I Bin Old Loft Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is my dilema.

I can get free loft insulation if I have less than 60mm of insulation already installed. However, I am pretty sure but looking at it it is over 60mm. So, should I rip up the old stuff and bin it so I can get the insulation for free? I would probably need to top up anyway and I haven't really explored the loft since moving in 5 years ago!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Asking opinion for a reason - what is it best to do. No need for a bashing session people. The stuff that is currently there is rather yukky, not sure if that affects the performance i have no idea when it was laid does that matter??

There is a real reason for asking you know, not trying to screw the system!!

'She is from Scotland', and like no one in England ever screws the system? I do work and pay my taxes and get absoluately no benefits for anything even though on a low salary and only person in household. I do not screw any system.

Sponsored Links
So leave the existing insulation up there and buy some extra rolls from B&Q or see if you qualify for additional insulation from your energy supplier. Its doing no harm and will still be working albeit maybe not as effectively as when first installed.

And grow a thicker skin! ;)

The stuff that is currently there is rather yukky

So the free insulation applies to those with less than 60mm or those with Yukky insulation?

not sure if that affects the performance I have no idea when it was laid does that matter?

irrelevant, less than 60mm, that is the condition for free insulation.

You are proposing to rip it out, to specifically work around the 60mm rule, that is playing the system.

The awful mess you will create removing the existing stuff will cancel out any cost-savings. Leave it in place.

I also don't like the idea that you are proposing to throw away something perfectly usable to replace it with the same - albeit clean - product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back