Should I buy an ex-display kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you pls advise on this issue?

I plan to install a new kitchen in my home. A local kitchen installer told me that they can sell me an ex-display kitchen at a cheap price. It has been displayed in their showroom for the last two years. Apparently its original price was £16,000 but I can have it at half price.

Is it a normal thing to install this kitchen in your home?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
If it is a decent quality and in good condition then why not?

I would not be interested in the discount though, even at £8k you could buy a very good kitchen, new.

If/when you are happy with the price then negotiate terms.

1) They remove/dismantle the display

2) They deliver.

3) You inspect for damage before releasing the funds(less the deposit they will demand).

i would look at it as a 8k kitchen do my homework from there
if it has real wood it may be faded
it may also be an old range not now available if you need extras
basically it is only worth what you would have to pay elsewhere
then a good discount for the wear and tear
they could say its worth 50k and try and charge you 25k
ask them for visual proof off the claimed price in a brochure or web site
never believe a "worth-will cost- used to be-bargain" or any other claim without a lot off research
they will still be making a good profit at what ever level they claim is "trade/our cost price"

Could you pls advise on this issue?
Who is p.l.s.?

They no doubt could somehow show that this kitchens' un-discounted cost would have come to £16k.

Irrelevant. It would have been sold at a huge discounted rate in any case.

As said £8k will buy you a decent new kitchen, so tell them to either do one or make them an offer, say...£2k?

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for all your kind replies. I will discuss with that company.

Regards,

Look up ex display kitchen on ebay, and you will see that they go for a lot less than 50% discount, usually about 75-80%. Use that info as a bargaining tool.

There is no need for bargaining tools.

If you are lucky there may be a fair chunk of stuff of value like a cooker and extractor and some other bits and pieces.

However don't be fooled into thinking second hand carcasses will be as well behaved as factory fresh fellas.

You will be expected to spend time and money on bits and pieces trying to re-hash these old units into your own kitchen. Fine and dandy if you are a fitter by trade and have a van full of gear to fall back on.

£2k maybe a generous offer for something that would ultimately end up on a skip.

My mother bought a brand new kitchen and tiles for less than £2000 and it looks great.
I admit the work price is not included here, but if I was going to buy any kitchen for £8k, then I'd want to see it first.

Any kitchen which is worth over £16k should really be made of Gold silver and marble. I would also be suspicious of anyone trying to save me £8k!!!

I would suggest that you go and see it first (if you haven't already) and assess its value from there.

I expect the value of the original new kitchen was 12k, and your getting a £4k discount on a half used kitchen.

You will have to see it yourself, and like the other people have said here, check deliveries etc...

Thank you so much. After much thought, I decided against this ex-display kitchen.

Instead, I will buy a new kitchen.

May I ask this question? The worktop I want to buy is said to be made of 'man-made composite' as seen here:

http://www.bushboard.co.uk/products/m-stone/

Is any 'man-made composite' good enough?

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back