Ex-display Cooker not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am afraid I was one of the vultures round MFI when they shut... maybe this serves me right?
We have now just fitted our ex-display kitchen with no real problems except that the Siemens double oven wont heat up.
The hob, dishwasher and freezer are all fine but the oven came with round white cable attached clearly insufficient for use in a cooker but enough to run the lights etc. we have replaced this with proper cable and had it installed by an electrician but although all the lights/displays etc light and the fan works up the elements don't.
We are thinking that this is probably a simple case of something having been removed (like a fuse) to stop the element working in the showroom? Would reasonable this be a shop fitting practice? There obviously is at least one connection at the back but what to is unclear to us or electrician.
Please can anyone shed any light/ideas or at least suggest we may not be completely on the wrong track?
Thanks if you can help.

Sponsored Links
photo of the connector block please

Have you got the instruction book?

If not search the web by the model number.

Have you reset the clock and verified that it is not on a Timer setting?

If not any of the above, perhaps the appliance has multiple 'live' terminals designed to be used with the wiring system of our foreign friends, but which need to be bridged across to run off a single supply. Assume you've done the obvious thing and checked for a user & installation manual online?

As JohnD said, set the clock. Some ovens wont work until this is done, due to them having a timer that can shut the oven off, like a microwave. I have a gas oven that does this. When you first press a clock button to set it, there is an audible clunk from deep within the appliance - this is the relay that enables the oven to now work. ;)

Sponsored Links
We are thinking that this is probably a simple case of something having been removed (like a fuse) to stop the element working in the showroom? Would reasonable this be a shop fitting practice?

Yes if it has been used as a working display the elements WILL have been made inoperative for safety issues
post A photo of the terminal block if you can

matt

so many times i've seen places like B&Q with displays of electric fires with the lights on, all plugged into 4 ways or via a single fused spur, and I always wonder if the heaters would work if i were to turn them on . . .

But I dont think I ever saw an oven in MFI with its lights working . . . Extractors, yes, but not ovens or fridges.

Hi

The heating elements will have been unplugged. I'd check the fans as well...

A lot of ovens have a small fan at the top to keep the control panel cool - these are sometimes disconnected.

Obviously, if you don't reconnect this, the oven will work fine until the control panel overheats (or melts!)

Steve

Cooling fans usually incorporate a safety 'lock-out' feature which prevents the oven working if the fan fails.

MFI OWN BRAND PRODUCTS AND MFI EXTRACARE EXTENDED WARRANTY

The Administrators are unable to facilitate repairs or replace items and therefore are unable to assist customers with faulty items and damaged goods. These claims are classed as non-preferential unsecured claims against the Company. There will be no monies available to this class of creditor from the insolvent estate.

Unfortunately if it is MFI's own brand you are stuck unless you or your electrician removes the back panel, (isolate the supply first!), and locates any missing fuse/loose wiring/ or disconnected components.

Thanks for help so far.. I will need to wait til I can get someone give a hand slide oven out, then I will try and post some pics.
Its a Siemens but can fully understand their position... it was my risk and I can live with that.
Cheers

Yes, thanks. have looked through instructions and online. they are much into detail in "Troubleshooting" but don't think its anything to do with the clock.

If it's not the clock, or a button you need to press, then your electrician should be able to sort out any functional electric problem. If it's a faulty appliance, then although MFI or its administrators won't honour the warranty, there is a loophole where the manufacturer will honour the warranty once the MFI one has expired (i.e. after 12 months).

So, if you and your electrician can't fix it, put it in your garage for a year, then claim for a new one. Check with Siemens that the warranty is valid on display items,

Thanks for all advice. I bottled in the end and called out a Siemens engineer. Element was disconnected, but electronically. It wasn't "The clock" but did transpire to be an obscure combination of button pushes on the front panel... not available from handbook at all. It's not what you know......
Siemens are honouring warranty as well...Good customer service!
happy baking
Marcus :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back