Should I comment on neighbour plans or not?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Live in a bungalow, each has driveway to left, path to right, so each is about 3-4m apart with a 1m (maybe a bit less) border. On this side I have 4 windows - 2 bathroom, bedroom/office, side lounge window. Roof apex runs front to back.

Neighbour is planning to build out to within 80cm of the boundary, and build over a new garage attached, with apex running left to right - so large wall all along the edge. This will block a fair amount of light, and also, they plan to put a side garage door opposite our living room window. Their ground is slightly higher than ours too. And they also are planning one dormer in the original roof, that will look down into our bedroom/office.

Our main bedrooms face front and left, and kitchen and lounge both have windows to the rear. So the main impact will be light into bedroom and back of lounge (where we have our bookcase and a desk) and the bedroom/office. Bathroom will lose a lot of light, but not a big issue.

I am in 2 minds whether or not to say anything. Wife def. does not want us to make any formal comment, as it is bound to be taken the wrong way and cause problems, and I think we're both in a position that we'd prefer to lose some light than have another falling out with a neighbour (and have to move again!).

But how to approach this? What is annoying for me too, is that I really don't think they are making good use of their plot - they are keeping a large front room as the main lounge, which is lovely in winter, but in summer a nightmare as you literally can't hear the TV over the sound of traffic with the windows open - they moved in just before Christmas so won't know this! Also by extending out further, they get a much better house ... IMO (I went through all this before extending my own bungalow!).

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, just wondering if I should mention the side garage door - their plans don't show our house, their architect might not have even mentioned it to them ... oh, it's not just a garage, it's a garage/gym that is linked into the kitchen.

But probably best to listen to the wife!

While it's hard to argue with the 'listen to wife' position, I would make a formal objection, and let the neighbour know. Keep the objection precise, non-emotional, and focused on the issues of privacy and loss of light.

Sponsored Links
Here's a window that will be looking out onto a wall... although office for now, is supposed to be a bedroom
IMG_20210302_153320137_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210307_145554143_HDR.jpg

And the lounge side window - the new garage/gym side door will be in line with the current backdoor, so be right outside our window.

IMG_20210310_090041224.jpg

It is a dilemma!

While it's hard to argue with the 'listen to wife' position, I would make a formal objection, and let the neighbour know. Keep the objection precise, non-emotional, and focused on the issues of privacy and loss of light.
I can only agree - if you don't comment it will only make you feel more aggrived in the future if the neighbours extention is as bad or worse than you expect.
Whilst the new neighbours may be unhappy with your objection it will also let them know that you are not a walk over.

Have they told you directly that they are planning an extention?
I'd talk to them and offer your 'objective' opinion and experience of living there. I'd also tell them that you will be objecting with your reasons as per your letter - they will see it anyway so you may as tell them and explain your concerns.

Yeah, did chat to the guy when they moved in, they mentioned they were doing an extension, but I assumed it would be just a read extension / loft like all the other bungalows have done.

will that extension impact you being able to sell your property in the future , if there is a substantial loss of light, and being looked over

Probably not. Hard to know! The main rooms are front, back and on the other side - the main concern is really that garage/gym door opposite the lounge side window. Wife suggests we can just put a privacy film over the top part.

Do not mention anything to do with potential loss of value. It's irrelevant, and undermines the validity of your objection.

If it were me I'd start by finding some other topic to start a conversation with them directly. I'd then, later, have another conversation with them about their plans - it would seem a shame not to talk with them about what you learnt from your own experience...

yeah, will probably just leave it.
Chatted yesterday as it happens, about my chimney that is coming down tomorrow, and the trees that were removed.
Might bump into them again, but we are less concerned now, being philosophical about it, nobody likes change etc.
Will mention that side door if I can, but won't say anything about their plans being suboptimal unless conversation takes a weird turn.

Best to mention it asap.
Save him money if plans amended at the start .
Plus as your chatting to him now without saying anything would look bad if you complain at a later date.

Yeah, I assume so! Their plot is about 6 inches higher than ours, if they stood on their door step they'd easily look in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back