Should I Cut the Grass at This Time of Year?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I over-seeded my lawn to thicken it up about 5 weeks ago.

The new grass is about an inch high now.

Should I cut it or just leave it till next spring?

Sponsored Links
if it was only 5 weeks, mowing it might pull it up by the roots. Try tugging at some of the new growth to see how firm it is.

An inch is not much anyway, if it was me I would leave it. At this time of year an inch is fine to leave for the winter.

if it was only 5 weeks, mowing it might pull it up by the roots. Try tugging at some of the new growth to see how firm it is.

An inch is not much anyway, if it was me I would leave it. At this time of year an inch is fine to leave for the winter.

As long as its above 5 degrees your grass will still grow but since its only been laid 5 weeks ago I would say just leave it till spring.

Sponsored Links
Leave your newish lawn well alone now, and then begin to cut in the spring. Cutting now could well lead to areas of moss taking hold, though it is fine to lightly cut well established lawns in winter during a dry spell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back