Should I Have A Bypass On S Plan System?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend came around today to help me change the pump on my vented S-plan heating system, which is 10 years old.

He knows a little about heating, and thought it strange that there was no bypass on the pipework.

Do I need one, and what could happen if one isn't fitted?

Sponsored Links
useally yes
but your boiler may not have pump overrun.
if you have pump overrun and the zone valves close then the water has no bypass to take.

mine doesn't and thats a s plan on a potterton boiler.

normally ya would have a bypass on a s-plan but theres plenty running ok without. its there to give a path back to the return say for example ya have trv's fitted. if ya boiler has a pump overrun its used to disperse the heat from around the boiler by giving a route for the water to circulate after the valves have closed.

what boiler ya got? could cause ya boiler to overheat

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I have TRVs, but on pump overrun.

The system is 10 years old, but it still runs with the old boiler that was there before. Its an Ideal Concord WRS, almost 30 years old I think.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back