should I paint the whole house white??

Should I paint everything white

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Currently doing a house up which I will be selling in the new year and wanted opinions on whether walls should be white as well as ceilings & woodwork.

Also would a gloss white or cream kitchen be better

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Blank canvas for buyers will never harm - they'll only redecorate after they've moved in anyway. If you think pure white will not suit the property style, then use something else off-white?

No way. Pure white is a bad idea in Britain; the overcast skies make it looks blue-grey and cold. Everything white will also make it look minimalist, which is not many people's taste. Use magnolia like a normal person.

No way. Pure white is a bad idea in Britain; the overcast skies make it looks blue-grey and cold. Everything white will also make it look minimalist, which is not many people's taste. Use magnolia like a normal person.
I quite like it myself, esp with some decent furniture & wood floors and I hate magnolia!!
And I think that's just it, it's about taste. As OP is selling it, I don't think it's a bad idea as a blank canvas because to please every would be buyer who walks through the door would be impossible - it would make it easier to decorate too :)

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's a bad idea as a blank canvas because to please every would be buyer who walks through the door would be impossible - it would make it easier to decorate too :)
I would say magnolia is just as blank and easy to decorate over, but looks warmer. *shrugs*

Always looked like someone smoked too much and the paint has yellowed to me :) It really is just down to taste innit? Impossible to please everyone!!

One customer I worked for bought a job lot of Crown Snowdrop and had me paint the entire house with it when they were planning to sell. Apparently, almost every estate agent and viewer loved it and asked what colour it was.

It's warmer than white and more beige than magnolia. I painted the ceilings and woodwork white and have to admit that it looked fine with the various coloured accessories in every room. The house sold pretty quickly, so maybe that colour helped, or perhaps it was the amazing job that the decorator did. (I'm so modest!)

My two sons have both bought new houses and they are completely painted white throughout. White satin on the woodwork and matt on the ceilings and walls.

Cream Kitchen ( units I presume) White units are so H.A / L.A:unsure: that's not Los Angeles.

Been using Dulux Timeless on a new development instead of the usual magnolia and it looks a lot nicer.

As virtually every home renovation programme show on TV proves, most people have very little imagination on what they can achieve, and want to see how good the house looks before they buy it - then go on to redecorate it in the style they like after they move in.

I tend to use Crown Ivory cream as a standard colour and buy a few cans whenever it's on special offer, but I'll have a look at the other suggestion next time I'm in B&Q.

I suspect that at the end of the day, as long as it's clean and neat and recently decorated (but not in white or magnolia) then it'll sell.

I did my house all in white, including all timber work, looks brilliant,on my doors and frames I did white undercoat and left it like that instead of gloss, I prefer it all mat and matt emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back