should i plant a wisteria against my house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought a wisteria plant earlier this year and its happily growing away in a pot, i bought it with the idea of growing it on a large trellis screwed on to the back of my house, is this a bad idea? ive been told that by doing this im asking for problems with damp and an unpruned plant growing through the slates and wrecking the gutter, has anybody got any help, advice or tips on this subject

may thanks

Sponsored Links
have one on mine its grown up one side and over the roof and now it heading down the other side. its not going through the slates, it needs to be trained to go in front of the gutter, as for damp no way.

I've been told that by doing this I'm asking for problems with damp and an unpruned plant growing through the slates and wrecking the gutter, has anybody got any help, advice or tips on this subject.
Absolute piffle, Wisteria is one of the more benign climbers.

It's quite vigorous but doesn't 'cling' like most climbers so very unlikely to do any damage to anything. Mine doesn't anyway. Naturally you'd want to keep an eye on it for misbehaving like getting too thick behind the gutter and so on.

It grows in quite an open structure and doesn't cover the wall or whatever in foliage so damp problems are unlikely (I don't have any).

Great plant - get on with it - sunny wall for preference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back