Should I put this in Disasters? - Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son's kitchen! Builders in first then the plumber goes to work. We have fitted the kitchen before any appliances were delivered. He is now trying to get the cooker in place and we have BIG problems. With all the pipe work and no recess on the cooker, it's going to standout about 75mm and leave a big gap at the top.

Are we looking at trying to channel those pipes into the wall?

I have added an image of the problem for all to see

Sponsored Links
This is the problem.

We have fitted the kitchen before any appliances were delivered

You should have at least consulted the fitting instructions for the space required. Not an easy way out now unfortunately.

Yes Denso you're right but even when you look at the manual for the cooker there is no indication that it doesn't have a recess! I suppose when you fit cookers every day you get to know these problems.

Units were delivered well before the appliances and we started straight away. I think the plumber might have had an idea that that run of pipes might cause problems, but he just went ahead.

Dcawkwell - I think we realise that!!

Sponsored Links
I've never seen a cooker with enough of a recess to take a waste pipe...

OK, hindsight and recriminations aside...what is behind the wall? What sort of wall is it?

It is probably the only solid wall in the house, breeze block and plaster oOh had it been dot and dab plaster board those pipe would be away by now.

Three thoughts:

1. Re-site power point well clear of where it is and re-run gas outlet into gap behind other unit. Won't be much help if ground level pipes also a problem.

2. Get rid of cooker, install gas hob and electric cooker. Many electric cookers (not hobs) will run off a 13A power socket.

3. Replace cooker with one with sufficient gap behind.

I appreciate changing the cooker isn't a cheap option, but it might be cheaper than a lot of building work.

It is probably the only solid wall in the house, breeze block and plaster oOh had it been dot and dab plaster board those pipe would be away by now.
buffer's idea of dabbling around with a new hob and oven may be the way forward. However, what's on the other side of the wall? If it's external then although its a ball-ache the pipework and waste could be routed through it. :confused:

So is it OK ie Gar Regs to have the gas outlet behind another unit? This is the first main headache as it sticks out about 3 inches.

Brand new 900mm cooker and fitted Earthstone worktops so extra expense in this area would be a last resort.

It is an outside wall but in a terrace of houses so going external is not an option.

Do you think there is enough flexibility in the pipes to try to channel out behind them and then hold them back in the channel.

Oh forgot to mention the new wooden floor has just been fitted throughout, just to add to the problems!

I'll leave the gas question to the gas pros (although my guess would be that providing easily accessible access is maintained, one would wonder why it would be a problem. But regs are regs :confused:)

As for channelling - there is a limit to the depth of brickwork that can be removed.

What's the problem with taking the waste pipe outside? if needs be, you could always just route it over the width of the cooker, making sure that you use some access covers for the stretch of external pipework. Far from ideal, for several reasons, but desperate times.... ;)

Sadly the initial kitchen design was done by B and Q, the washing machine being as far from the outside waste as possible but we did have ""their best kitchen designer"" on the job - alarm bells!!

The idea was to run the waste pipe below the base of the units in the space under the units. This was fine right up to the point when the cooker was unwrapped and we found the legs literally in each corner. They may still squeeze in.

The biggest and first issue is the gas outlet.

Then the pipes are fixed in clips and mounted on the plaster. I hope an inch maybe gained here. If that's not enough then we may have to attack the block work.

How can you find out if a cooker has a recess apart from trying to find a display model!!

Your gas connection for the cooker is only a problem because it's badly fitted, done correctly it would be much tighter to the wall and I suspect your problem in that area would be eliminated.

My thoughts;
Cookers get HOT,
Plastic waste pipes do not like to to get too hot

I would NEVER run a plastic waste behind a cooker as it's a receipe for disaster! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back