Gas hose to cooker connection - PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I purchased a second hand range cooker from ebay, and having cut the kitchen up to make it fit I have hit a problem. We have our neighbours dad, who is Corgi registered coming to fit the gas bayonet hose to the cooker.
However he says that the cooker is missing the1/2' BSP socket (?) connector- which having looked at photos on the net should be attached to the pipe on the back of the cooker. I just have the pipe with a bare thread, so nothing for the hose to screw on to.
The previous owner who I bought it from says his plumber cant find it, and doesnt remember taking it off.
My neighbours dad says that this connector will be a specific size for the cooker- and that the only way I will find one is from a scrapped cooker?! Is this true?
Can I not just buy another? I have tried to find something on line but everything seems to lead me to the bayonet wall connection which isnt the right bit obviously.
The picture looks like an over long nut- does anyone know what I am talking about, and where I might be able to get one?
The cooker is a Flavel Finesse 100 FN10FR.

Please help- I have a kitchen in bits, and a christmas dinner relying on the cooker being in!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I hope he is gas safe since corgi is no good now. most gas fitters carry spare nuts and fittings and would be able to adapt that I would think.

oscarboy";p="2598665 said:
Hi there
I purchased a second hand range cooker from ebay, and having cut the kitchen up to make it fit I have hit a problem. We have our neighbours dad, who is Corgi registered coming to fit the gas bayonet hose to the cooker.
However he says that the cooker is missing the1/2' BSP socket (?) connector- which having looked at photos on the net should be attached to the pipe on the back of the cooker. I just have the pipe with a bare thread, so nothing for the hose to screw on to.
oscarboy";p="2598665 said:
I suggest that you find another local GAS SAFE registered installer. (CORGI doesn't count anymore.) the threaded part on the cooker is likely to be 1/4" or 3/8", either of which is simpleto attach to.

Sponsored Links
i hope 'neighbours dad, who is Corgi registered coming to fit the gas bayonet hose' holds cooker qualifications,

i also hope you have looked up minimum clearances etc for your new purchase, so that all your 'cutting out' is correct so when mr corgi turns up with his hose he can just slot it in.

does your neighbour's dad work for a firm or have his own registration number, does he have public liability insurance?

wish i lived in DIY world where everything is easypeasy.

whats all this Corgi thing it's been Gas Safe for 4 yrs, OP i would have said it's just a 1/2" connection the same size as the gas hose, so if thats the case you just need a 1/2" brass coupler

I think that I have one of that model at my house!

They are usually 1/2" male threaded pipe.

Any gas reg person will know how to connect it.

I suspect this fellow is a charletan.

Ask him for his Gas Safe number and see if it has seven digits?

Tony

FiremanT";p="2598876 said:
Hi there
I suggest that you find another local GAS SAFE registered installer. (CORGI doesn't count anymore.) the threaded part on the cooker is likely to be 1/4" or 3/8", either of which is simpleto attach to.

its more likely to be 1/2"
but as you rightly advise a qualified competant GSR will sort it in 2 mins

Or as a trainer should say five minutes!

Amazing how many people are eager to slag off the guy the OP has coming .
For those that fit cookers regularly we know that a lot of cookers/ranges out there do NOW have a specific connection on the back of them that is 1/2 female for the hose to go in but the other end is connected to cooker with a flanged connection sometimes with a washer in there and a non standard thread .
These are not stocked at merchants and the guy is right he will have to get the correct part.
It is not a case of using a MI elbow or socket as it used to be twenty years ago.

Oscar, to help us to help you can you post a closer up picture of the gas connection part at the back of your cooker?

I might have time to look at mine tomorrow.

Tony

Hi Tony,
thanks for your help. I will ask my wife to send me a photo of it and will post it here.
He said it was a 1/2" BSP socket that I needed- and said that it does need to be the one specific to the cooker (possibly due to a washer that is on the end of the pipe?)
With ref to Corgi all I know is he does gas fitting and plumbing as a job- and that he was going to do us a favour and fit the cooker at the weekend.
Thanks

HI all

Here is the connector on the back of the cooker. I am told its 1/2".
Does this look like it would take a standard brass coupler? Or is my fitter correct in saying its bespoke?

Thanks for your help- had hoped to get it fitted tomorrow but having tried Flavel parts dept 4 times this morning and been hung up on every time I am starting to lose the will to live!

It is a special as your installer has rightly said. It is a socket required but a completely different one for sale off the shelf it may even be a fitting with a female and male connection that a standard 1/2 socket then goes onto that

unlike the so called pro`s on here who jumped in and said he was a charletan and others who told you to get someone else in and who picked you up on the use of the word Corgi which prob around 75% of the population still use.

I wonder if any them will offer there apologies.

I to would recommend espares for the part they hold a large stock for flavel

Oscar nip up your local tip or scrap yard in the morning usually appliances are kept seperate and you may just find if your lucky an appliance with one on it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back