Should i replace screed before laying parquet?

zabriskie said:
....and you don't know a thing about me.
We do now. Good luck with replacing your whole floor to save you the monumental task of trimming the bottom of your doors.

Sponsored Links
zabriskie said:
Like most message boards, and this site is no different, you get a group of regulars whose life exists within these small walls, it's very cliquey, self-protective and hostile to outsiders. Which is the impression you all give me.
Think, read and think again. You're on post number 3, presume you've been lurking around a lot longer then?
Cliquey? Regulars whose life exists within these small walls? Yep, that's going to make you great friends out here.

Rant from one of the regulars over.

And as for your problem: 1 inch of new concrete takes at least 30 days to dry out. Self-leveling compound on old concrete: make sure it is bonded perfectly otherwise any glueing of the wood and reacting/expanding of the wood will result of the floor ripping out your screed.

zabriskie said:
But when someone new comes along asking for advice, to be digged at in the first response, regardless of how friendly the dig was, is slightly unfair, don't you think.
No.

Like most message boards, and this site is no different, you get a group of regulars whose life exists within these small walls, it's very cliquey, self-protective and hostile to outsiders. Which is the impression you all give me.
Deal with it.

I read the original posting and cannot see why anyone can take offence at Gcol 's comments. It only implied that you are taking on a huge amount of work to acheive very little. I have found any comments made in many posts to be helpful, if a little humour offends that is a sad place to be .I am no expert but I understood that to remove all the screed to be unnecessary

Sponsored Links
well im new around this forum and i have found the people on here including gcol not a problem but helpful to a diyer. think you should all kiss and make up x x x :rolleyes:

Let me tell you about Zabriskie.

His first name is Shane and he is 34 years old. He is primarily a mural artist, but he also works as a furniture designer, a writer and a documentary filmmaker.

One may assume he is ignorant but he is actually very intimate with the works of Proust, Flaubert, Henry James, Faulkner, Nabakov, Renoir, Bunuel, Mizoguchi, Ophuls, Modgliani, Bonnard, Ansel Adams, Robert Capa, Mozart, Mahler, Bach, Richard Strauss, Charlie Parker, Lucretius, Benjamin Franklin, Galileo, Thomas Jefferson, Darwin, Jesus, Voltaire, Shakespeare, Shinto architecture, etc, etc.

He is also a strong supporter of Amnesty International, Survival International, OpenDemocracy, Oxfam, the promotion of contraception, research into Hydrogen Fuel Cell Technology, Greenpeace, etc, etc.

The pursuit of knowledge, wisdom, artistic integrity, and human solutions has been a life ambition.

But then last year he was diagnosed with a fairly serious illness that may prove to be terminal, for which he is taking medication and waiting to see what happens. So right now he is trying to finish all the things he started just in case the worst happens, and this includes the house renovation he started with his girlfriend. Which is why he came to this site for the first time only last week (there was no lingering) after doing a google search for places offering diy advice.

Now being ill changes Shane, he is very aware that he may not really have time anymore to waste time. Every moment is precious to him. He didn't come to this site to make friends, play games, nor be digged at for asking a straightforward question - in regards to which he wasn't offended, just annoyed by gcol's initial reply, which incidentally has been deleted.

So if Shane seems harsh, it’s not personal, he has a lot to get done. He won't be returning to this forum because he doesn't think it's very useful when seeking clarity on DIY matters, but to all those that contributed, he thanks you anyway for taking the time.

Shane's friend said:
Let me tell you about Zabriskie.
Thanks for sharing all of that. It gives some insight into Shane's outlook on things.

For the record, I don't think anyone implied that Shane is ignorant. However, it's all too easy to make assumptions about people; since I'm guilty of that in this instance, I apologise for it.

I wish you and Shane well.

zabriskie said:
Now being ill changes Shane, he is very aware that he may not really have time anymore to waste time. Every moment is precious to him.
So why waste your time and dig up the screed unnecessarily then?

zabriskie said:
..... just annoyed by gcol's initial reply, which incidentally has been deleted.
So has yours which offended me when you called me a pr*ck.

zabriskie said:
So if Shane seems harsh, it’s not personal, he has a lot to get done.
Then don't waste your precious time on here writing drivel.

zabriskie said:
He won't be returning to this forum because he doesn't think it's very useful when seeking clarity on DIY matters, but to all those that contributed, he thanks you anyway for taking the time.
Shame Shane, I was just warming to you.
Get well soon. xxx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back