Should I stick with old oil cast iron boiler as long as it works?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm in the initial stages of researching an oil filled boiler house condensing boiler to replace an old 30 year cast iron boiler (burner was replaced about 20 years ago) all working well at the moment, but as I understand it, will probably use a fifth more oil, and oil as you know is not cheap at the moment.

Lots of ads on tv for Grant boilers, but plumbers and the service guy have mentioned Warmflow and Firebird to me. How do they stack up against the Grant brand? Just don't want to buy and probably pay more for hype alone, and it has probably worked in my case seeing all the ads as I am swayed towards the Grant brand.

Or should I just stick with old cast iron boiler as long as it works, I have been told that though I could save oil with a new condensing boiler, it would have more electronic parts which might need replacing after a few years therefore offsetting the cost of any saving on oil?

Idea's and any advice gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Will say strait away we are Grant registered installers ( fit 2 or 3 a week have done for some time)
We have very few problems with them back up if you need it is great in stark contrast to the other makes you mention.
As you already realise running costs of a new boiler will be lower especially if you take the opportunity to upgrade controls ect.
As you existing boiler has a cast hex chances the system will need carefully flushing system filter is a must.

The old maxim of 'you get what you pay for' applies to boilers, as with everything else. Grant and Worcester Bosch are in the higher price range, but will suffer less problems than the budget makes you have been advised about. They suffer from niggling problems, particularly on combis where design issues mean leaks fall on critical electrical components causing them to fail.

Thanks guys for replies, and as regards the point about using the old cast iron boiler until it breaks down, I would appreciate your thoughts on that as well.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Usually 2000-2500 litres.

Just wondering what you guys would do yourself if in my situation, keep the cast iron until it gives up the ghost or a new Grant condenser?

Joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back