Should I tell this plumber not to bother????

Sponsored Links
Good for Ms Moneypenny. She explained the problem more lucidly than most of the want-something-for-nothing punters who post to this site, and then went on to diagnose it herself more effectively than the quack plumber. You've got yourself a new career, my love.

Sponsored Links
Anyone else slightly suspicious of Moneypenny's credentials :LOL: But well played anyway :D

I am who I say I am a no tricks or dodgy credentials!!! Honestly. Female 60 yrs old, 3 grown up kids 1 adorable 10 year old granddaughter very active, love DIY don't do plumbing though. Electrics, well not a lot just change plugs and rewire small appliances. I was a daddy's girl, still have some of his tools although not much good now keep them for sentimental reasons.

2 plumbers couldn't solve a frustrating problem so went to the library got 2 books read both chapters on gravity fed open vented systems, trawled the internet and spent quite some time in the loft with a stool and a reading lamp.

Did the same this summer when I wanted to lay a few pavers and build a small wall.

Picked up a lot of tips up when I worked in the old YTS most of my colleagues were men. A joiner, bricklayer, welder, painter & decorator, engineer and construction worker. The joiner taught me to cut and scribe so I could fit dado rails skirting boards and fitted wardrobes. In return I did their wives sewing projects. The plumber left just before I joined but he was the one who put in the system 15 years ago and made it work. Had two of our YTS lads with him.

It wasn't rocket science to work out. A system that has been very efficient for 15 years and suddenly isn't anymore after fitting a new cylinder..... trace it back to the cylinder and the guy who who fitted it!!!!!

If the first guy had done his job I wouldn't have bothered just paid up happily for a job well done.

Do some research every time I have to call in the trade to fix something I can't do ( except with plumbing it is usually an emergency and there isn't much time). Had a lot of cowboys over the years. Find a good tradesman hang on to him.

You guys and gals were very helpful thanks.

In that case well I take my hat off to you, my mum, slightly older, wouldn't have a clue :LOL:

Your just my sort of customer, lady who takes an interest in what is being done, I enjoy explaining how things work to customers so they know what they are paying for, I hate it when I go somewhere and the customer is totally disinterested and doesn't even know where the gas/electric/water switch off.
I asked a lady the other day what her new boiler was she had just had fitted, err, it's a corgi I think was the reply :(

Your Mum has you Eddie doesn't need to have a clue.

My 2 boys are white collar workers my daughter a nurse they call me.....and I love it..... like to keep busy haven't adapted well to retirement. But they look after me in other ways.

And what I have learned about gravity fed systems will be passed on to my grandaughter for her science project at school. The timing was perfect.

Your lady sounds like my husband pedanticvindictiveman, he says ask the wife I haven't got a clue!!!!!!!!

I have found that younger tradesmen are much happier to pass on knowledge, the older school don't always like it, I have learned when to back off and keep a discreet distance.

kevplumb said:
shouldnt play on the plumbers forum ed stick to what you are good at and to be fair you are bl**dy good m8 :)

Err, yes, seem to have perhaps unwittingly given a false impression about my credentials. I am absolutely no plumber, not even a DIY one. Apologies for any confusion, I just read the post and thought Moneypenny sounded exteremely well clued up for a lady "of a certain age" so thought it might be a wind up from an exisitng member.

Perhaps this time I just got burned. I am always careful not to give advice on these forums about stuff I know nothing about, and even stuff I know a little about. Hope no-one has taken umbridge. :(

Hope the sound cards, still rockin' :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back