Should I use an air brick in this circumstance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to brick up an used fireplace, quite small, currently a cast surround. However, I am not sure whether I need to use an air brick. The fire is unused, but I think joins up with a used flue from downstairs. I've read that in this case a airbrick shouldn't be used, as if any sparky bits come up from the other fire, then down the unused flue side, then they can escape through the airbrick.

However, I am not entirely sure that he flues do join - they may just have different chimney pots when they get to the top.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
All flues run independently from one another They are separated by a skin of bricks (mid-fellow) and each flue should be vented separately.

Adding an air brick at the base of the flue will allow air to continue passing through the chimney thus keeping it 'healthy'.

Sponsored Links
All flues run independently from one another
Certainly that is normal. However, in old properties extra fireplaces were sometimes added to shared flues - horrible. If the house is well over 100 years old, I'd count the number of chimney pots to see if it matches the number of fire places. I think a chimney pot is a pretty good indicator of a flue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back