Should I use spray foam insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We own a 1930's terrace house and the roof is in a really poor state. A surveyor told me we would need it replacing but we can't afford to get it done. I saw an advert for these spray foam installers who said they could sort it out for a third of the cost. It seems too good to be true - has anyone used a similar product on their house?

Sponsored Links
As a devotee of 'Holmes on Homes' I've always wondered about how he is so evangelical about sprayed insulation - knowing that it is, shall we say, less than popular over here.

To save those of us new to the forum from trawling back through past posts, can summarise the (alleged) pros and cons.

Sponsored Links
To save those of us new to the forum from trawling back through past posts, can summarise the (alleged) pros and cons.
So you want someone to spend their time retyping what has already been written countless time to save you time?

As a devotee of 'Holmes on Homes' I've always wondered about how he is so evangelical about sprayed insulation - knowing that it is, shall we say, less than popular over here.

just go to the link i put there and read the posts on the r/h/side and read about 6 links

job done ;)

disadvantages
1 foam is waterproof and dosnt breath so any leaks in the roof means the timber cannot dry out so will rot very quickly

2 roofers do not like foam as it sticks everything together adding time to a re-roofing costing you hundreds off pounds extra

3 tiles will get broken during removal adding to the replacement costs when reusing the tiles

just go to the link i put there and read the posts on the r/h/side and read about 6 links

job done ;)

disadvantages
1 foam is waterproof and dosnt breath so any leaks in the roof means the timber cannot dry out so will rot very quickly

2 roofers do not like foam as it sticks everything together adding time to a re-roofing costing you hundreds off pounds extra

3 tiles will get broken during removal adding to the replacement costs when reusing the tiles

Ah...

Didn't realise it was sprayed directly onto the tiles - hence gunking it into a solid mass - thought there was some kind of membrane between.

thats normaly one off there claims
words like "stops tiles sliding" or "the tiles are firmly secured"

Also being a follower of Mike one difference to note is that canadian houses are all sheeted with plyboard before any roofing material is used (be it shingles or whatever new tech he's trying out). I would guess (my opinion here mind guys!) if we did similar before tiles or slates then yes you could spray foam. But as we don't the mess, well to a DIY'er like myself doesn't bare thinking about come getting that 1 slipped slate fixed..

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back