Should my electrician make good the holes around the plug sockets and light switches?

Would not have thought a dry lining box would be the best choice on that wall

I noticed that. Lath and plaster wall. Usually I would try to notch in a metal box on an upright.

Then again, if there isn't one I suppose you just have bung in whatever you can.

Sponsored Links
It's lathe and plaster, and not the easiest to fit any sort of box.
Needs noggins and metal back box, or a plasterboard patch.
Certainly should have been left in a better state than that. You'll need a clever builder/plasterer to get the sorted out.
I hope the property isn't listed!

Unfortunately there will often be a lot of damage when chasing walls in very old houses. ... The plaster just crumbles away.
... or the opposite. In my 'very old' house, there are two types of 'plaster'. One type, presumably what you are describing, is essentially sand. The other type has the properties of 'reinforced concrete' (presumably cement-based screed, rather than actual plaster). The latter creates just as much of a mess, since it's brittle and one has to use very serious kit to make any holes in it - whereupon it just shatters!

Kind Regards, John

You're the one holding the purse strings though. If floorboards have been lifted and then lost, offer your plumber the choice of sorting it himself, or accepting a deduction from his invoice so that you can contract a joiner to come and replace. You aren't being unreasonable in that instance.

Making good around sockets and wall chases, I personally wouldn't expect that to be included.
That's it - beat us poor old plumbers :cry: I took a board up last week in a WC. it looked a bit iffy but seemed alright - as I pulled @ it it flexed then the 3inch cut nails came out with it - all good as expected. But it was *pee riddled* and stunk the flippin room out:eek: as the wood fibres released their vapour. Couldn't put that one back:(

Sponsored Links
... type has the properties of 'reinforced concrete' (presumably cement-based screed, rather than actual plaster). creates just as much of a mess, since it's brittle and one has to use very serious kit to make any holes in it - whereupon it just shatters!

Kind Regards, John
I know that stuff John, I call it Parlour Render - like in a milking parlour;)

Yes it is lathe and plaster. Should I do anything to it before it get plastered or just leave it? The walls wont be plastered for a few months now but I can live with it for now even if its ugly as hell!

I found a great reclaimed wood place and managed to get a new board. 1 out of about 100. Need one 4'' and all sorted on that one :)

Thanks for the advice guys!

Should I do anything to it before it get plastered or just leave it?
Make sure that all of the back boxes are properly fixed. Do not worry about the front plates of the switches/sockets. They will wobble about at the moment but they will tighten up when they are screwed onto the plaster. But the back boxes must be fixed solid.

That's it - beat us poor old plumbers :cry:
Wasn't going to mention it, but as you did.....haha. Did a rewire a couple of weeks ago, and where the plumbers had dropped their flow and return from up to downstairs they'd notched the joist closest to the wall, realised there was nothing for the floorboard to brace on, so had nailed a bit of timber to the underside of the board, which (with nail head) was then resting on their new pipework. Quality!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back