Should new build houses have an immersion heater tank??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Might be a soft question but this has me intrigued. I live in a house that is 3 years old and my baxi solo boiler packed up over the weekend, have it kind of working again seems the fan had seized, now the burner has a mind of its own.......
But my main question is, is that the hot water tank does not have an immersion heater - I am sure I have read somewhere that it was a legal requirement to have a dual powered system so that you always have hot water at least (ie gas boiler and elec immersion heater) is this right or am I just dreaming...? Would be interested to find out as another good excuse to get on Redrow's case!
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
you may have read that, but not in the gsiur.
if there was any ruling that said anything about reliable dhw, you would not have a baxi solo in your house.

Sponsored Links
Your right; you must have been dreaming.

Btw Redrow homes are probably the worst made of all the big builders, I wouldn't buy one for my dog.

However if a combi was fitted there would be no tank or cylinder.... How could a dual powered system be fitted in these situations??

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Baxi :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dirty Pizza and Gin tonight - have to do a big estimate for underfloor heating and boiler - should have done it weeks ago but have been soooo busy.

However if a combi was fitted there would be no tank or cylinder.... How could a dual powered system be fitted in these situations??

an inline water heater or an electric shower perhaps? ;)

I am sure I have read somewhere that it was a legal requirement to have a dual powered system

Unfortunately it only comes under the rule of common sense which is not so common, probably because the government prevent people from using it for the sake of those that don't have it.

nfortunately it only comes under the rule of common sense which is not so common, probably because the government prevent people from using it for the sake of those that don't have it.

aaaahh - that would be "equal opportunities" then! :evil:

Quote: "an inline water heater or an electric shower perhaps? "

That would be the ideal situation! I kept the cylinder and fitted an immersion for back up in my house. Have coal fire downstairs in case of emergency! Friends in a Council property have a combi. It packed up a few weeks back, 8 in house including toddler, no heating or hot water for 2 days.....

They are now having an electric shower fitted at their own expense, at least they can wash if boiler goes again, which looking at state of it wont be long... Council can only afford to replace half the kitchen so new boiler is out of the question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back