Should news presenters appear on TV wearing the hijab?

As above

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DRM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Instead of just reporting the news, this is now creating the news.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by "should"?

If they normally wear it and get the job I suppose they will.

If you mean Huw Edwards - probably not.

Should the Archbishop of Canterbury wear silly clothes when on TV?

Sponsored Links
upload_2016-7-20_15-47-52.png

I believe they have been discussing it today on the Jeremy Vine Show, but I only heard a snippet.

I’ll use the iplayer to listen again later, but it seems something that Kelvin McKenzie has said has caused a bit of a storm.

As far as I am concerned, I have no problem with any member of any religion presenting any mainstream television program providing they don’t flaunt their religion.

This is my only objection to Jehovah’s Witnesses coming knocking at peoples doors.

I don’t mind what they believe provided they don’t want me to believe the same.

There are plenty of other female presenters currently on TV that may or may not hold strong religious beliefs, but if they don’t parade it, I’m not bothered.

That's a point, are we going to end up with nuns reading the news
Probably not but what is special about reading the news?

You presumably think she should not wear a hijab when reading the news otherwise you would not have mentioned it and may have titled your poll "Should Kelvin McKenzie be allowed?"

What about a man in a turban if one should get the job?

If these items are what people normally wear then, as there are no specific uniforms for newsreaders, people wear what is acceptable.
You could argue that the men have to wear a traditional suit and tie but the women can within reason wear whatever they want - sometimes quite provocative apparel - is that fair?

You use the words flaunt and parade - more appropriate for the above - but she is not doing either; that is what she wears because of her beliefs. There is nothing unsightly or repugnant about it.

I do remember a case where a nurse and a air stewardess having to fight in court the right to wear a cross after they were sacked for doing so. Funny old world.

Anyone has the right to express their faith, as long as they do not try to make others believe in said faith - it should be a personal journey only in my opinion. Seeing someone in a hijab or wearing a cross will never make me want to become religious, nor does it offend me, be a newsreader or ordinary chap walking down the street. Anyone who's offended by the sight of a hijab or a cross* has issues!

Kelvin story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36833471

* unless you're Count Dracula.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot see a problem with it, it can look attractive despite what Kelvin MacKenzie says

There are many Female Newscasters/ TV Journalists that could do with their Hair Style covered up !!

maji.jpg

That's a point, are we going to end up with nuns reading the news
Probably not but what is special about reading the news?

You presumably think she should not wear a hijab when reading the news otherwise you would not have mentioned it and may have titled your poll "Should Kelvin McKenzie be allowed?"

What about a man in a turban if one should get the job?

If these items are what people normally wear then, as there are no specific uniforms for newsreaders, people wear what is acceptable.
You could argue that the men have to wear a traditional suit and tie but the women can within reason wear whatever they want - sometimes quite provocative apparel - is that fair?

You use the words flaunt and parade - more appropriate for the above - but she is not doing either; that is what she wears because of her beliefs. There is nothing unsightly or repugnant about it.

This guy took part in the Jeremy Vine Show today

http://www.jongaunt.co.uk/

He answers your questions in Pod 1 – The Rant: Kelvin McKenzie & his hijab column.

Some will say that he is an extremist, but he does make some very good points.

We should be allowed to discuss these things without being branded as racists.

Have we ever had free speech in this country, if so, when did it end?

Sponsored Links
Back