Changes to council fees for waste disposal

Years ago, I had some plasterboard to get rid of. We had to go to a specific site, produce proof of address and which Council we pay Council Tax to, driving licence, shoe size etc......

Last year we went to our local tip and noticed there was a skip there for plasterboard so I took the plasterboard where I fell through the ceiling and was able to just put it in a skip, no questions asked.

Our lot charge 5 quid a bag for plaster board, rubble, soil, tiles etc. They class a bag as a typical rubble sack. All my DIY stuff goes in our waste collection bins. I'll run a few kitchen bin bags down the tip if needed. I wouldn't dream of doing this with genuine trade waste but ****ed if I'm paying the council 10 quid to tip one sheet of gypsum after a leaky roof at home or summit.

Sponsored Links
Our local councillor claimed in election flyer, to have put a stop to the charges for domestic bulky waste collections, so I checked and yes - no mention of a charge now. It used to be £20 for up to three items per collection, then I think it increased to £25. I don't see any local problems in the village, but have seen odd bits of fly tipping further out in the country.

I think Bristol still charge for bulky items. With the council state, I think it's a case of who blinks first between the authority and residents. The council realise the residents don't care where they chuck their old mattresses and fridges, so they give in first and have regular clear ups. As usual, the ones who play by the rules will have to pay.

Sponsored Links
Back