Should this ceiling have insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

The attached picture is that of an older Victorian house where the bathroom toilet is downstairs and at the end of the house (single story extension) with a mono pitch roof. Now the ceilings are being replaced, and I was wondering whether one needed to insulate the ceiling or possible have a latch there for access.

The truth of the matter is that if left like this, and the ceiling sealed and skimmed, there would no longer be access to this void.

Thanks in advance.

Ceiling.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I would see if there is enough height there. If the whole ceiling Is to be insulated. Then this will lower the height of the ceiling.

They probably avoided the extra few grammes of weight for fear of collapsing that faux ceiling 'structure'.

Don't sneeze.(y)

Sponsored Links
Height is 2070mm. What kind of insulation is needed and thickness please ?

Thanks

Height is 2070mm. What kind of insulation is needed and thickness please ?

Thanks

Rip down all of that and put 100mm of PIR insulation between the roof joists. It's more complicated than that and if you want to do a proper job (you do) you need to think about ventilation, vapour barrier, etc.

Rip down all of that and put 100mm of PIR insulation between the roof joists. It's more complicated than that and if you want to do a proper job (you do) you need to think about ventilation, vapour barrier, etc.
Can a loft insulation not work ?

My single story, mono pitch had 100mm between rafters, overboarded with 40mm. Signed off by building control, so I'd assume you would need the same.

My single story, mono pitch had 100mm between rafters, overboarded with 40mm. Signed off by building control, so I'd assume you would need the same.

What do you mean overboarded with 40mm ?

Also in this case, will the ceiling still be flat or slanting. It neds to be flat in this case because thats the only way to hide all cabes etc fr the spot lights.

Am i correct in saying 100mm between rafters and then 40mm ontop of that ? In my own case, how will the 40mm stick then ?
Also, how will a plasterboard sit on the 40mm then ?

Note how the joints have been sealed with the correct tape(y)

Use screws with a big washer to hold the insulation on, Mark the joists on the insulation, then fix the plasterboard with some long drywall screws.

The washers look like these, each board only needs 3 or 4

03DA67BD-4D2B-41E2-B854-029211A44E6C.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back