Shower again..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just one more question about this wretched shower business, which is still happening only in my head.

To recap, this is the one where there's a fault with a Redring Expressions, which I intend to change for a Triton Easy Fit of the same power rating, 8.5kw.

I've asked a spark to change the MCB from 32a to 40a to satisfy manufacturer's recommendations for the new shower and he's given me a fair price, so that will be arranged.

OK so far.

However, another chap (who I won't be using because he promised to come to look at the job and didn't) said during an initial phone conversation that swapping a shower unit is notifiable.

My understanding was that as long as you're not altering the circuit in any way, the work is non notifiable. So if the full extent of my electrical involvement is to disconnect the cable from the old shower then reconnect to the new, I haven't actually changed the circuit in any way so don't have to notify. Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
That is correct. Changing the shower itself is not notifiable.

However, Changing the MCB must surely be an alteration to the circuit; this is notifiable if within the zones of the bath/shower room, which, presumably, a shower must be.

Just to say that if you employ a registered electrician, then the fact that it is notifiable is virtually irrelevant.

Sponsored Links
However, another chap (who I won't be using because he promised to come to look at the job and didn't) said during an initial phone conversation that swapping a shower unit is notifiable. .... My understanding was that as long as you're not altering the circuit in any way, the work is non notifiable. So if the full extent of my electrical involvement is to disconnect the cable from the old shower then reconnect to the new, I haven't actually changed the circuit in any way so don't have to notify. Is that correct?
I was going to say that you are correct. What is notifiable within the zones of a bathroom ('special location') is ...

"any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location"

... and, as you say, replacing a shower would not seem to count as "an addition or alteration" of an existing circuit - but (as below) changing the MCB could well count as 'altering the circuit', hence notifiable. Furthermore ....

I've asked a spark to change the MCB from 32a to 40a to satisfy manufacturer's recommendations
.... I suspect that some might argue that changing an MCB to one of a different (higher) rating constitutes creating a 'new circuit', which would be notifiable, even if it were not a circuit supplying a bathroom.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all.
So just to clarify, if I employ a qualified electrician to change the MCB, and then swap the shower myself once that work is done, my shower swap would be classed as notifiable because the spark had changed the circuit?

Thanks all. So just to clarify, if I employ a qualified electrician to change the MCB, and then swap the shower myself once that work is done, my shower swap would be classed as notifiable because the spark had changed the circuit?
Yes, I would say so - it needs to be a registered self-certifying electrician, not just a 'qualified' one. Edit: Whoops, I misread your post :oops: (thanks to BAS for noticing my mistake). Since it is what I had been expecting you to write, I thought you had written that your swapping the shower (after circuit had been altered) would not be classed as notifiable. That's what I was agreeing with - so I actually disagree with what you wrote - i.e. if you did as you suggest, the shower swap would not be notifiable.

However, it could be suggested that you might as well let him/her change the shower whilst they were at it, particularly since, if they were doing the job properly, they would probably have to at least take the cover off the shower in order to test the entirety of the 'altered' circuit.

Kind Regards, John?

Last edited:
Yes, I would say so - it needs to be a registered self-certifying electrician, not just a 'qualified' one. ......
- see my edit of the above post (and thanks again to BAS for noticing my mistake).

Kind Regards, John?

Many thanks for the further replies.

This is a local electrician whose services I have used several times and who has been in the business for many years. Without checking I'm sure he is what you term a "registered self certifying electrician", John.

It was his firm that did the safety check and consumer unit swap on our property after we moved in here.

Rather than come here again repeating the same questions, I'll ask him to price for swapping the shower also. Might be better in the long term, whether notifiable or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back