Shower Alcove - Just a bit too big!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm currently extending an en-suite, and I've basically got a situation where the shower alcove opening is just a little too big for some of the shower doors I'm looking at.

My opening from stud to stud is 1080mm, with the waterproof boards and tiles on I reckon this opening will be around 1030mm. Most of the shower doors I'm looking at have negative adjustments, but most don't go beyond 1000mm.

How can I close up this 3cm gap and make sure it all remains waterproof?

Sponsored Links
It seems 3cm is just going to be too big to fill in this way?

Though I'm wondering about aluminium box section as an option?

you cant guess about shower openings if your going with fixed widths youve got to have the tile to to tile measurement.you buildor rearange, the shower compartment to suit.

1030mm is a common size for shower trays an adjustable doors - how come you cant find one? thers masses of 1030mm doors.
you dot show a photo or say what make and number tray and doors you have inmind - or do you have themon site?

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to avoid the rearrangement... hence me theorising what the size will actually be.

I currently have it back to the studs with no panels on the wall, what I don't want is to put everything on and then determine that it's the wrong size, I have more potential right now to change it before I get into that situation... if there are no other options.

I'm open with the size because I'm using a shower former with tile directly on top, so I'm not beholden to any particular shower tray size. My opening isn't a standard size because I have walls that I have to work to which are out front to back.

Fixing 30mm on the stud seems more difficult (although happy to be proven wrong). I don't think it can be a case of just doubling up on the stud because it will reduce the overall size of the shower area which I don't really want. It's easier to fix it just on the door while retaining the overall size.

The 1000mm relates to shower doors that I like the look of, I don't want to have to use a 1030mm one that I don't like the look of. I'm specifically looking at hinged shower doors:

https://victoriaplum.com/product/mo...an-shower-door-offer-pack?options=size|1000mm

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back