Shower Cabinet Fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a shower cabinet and the installation instructions on the new unit say, (in red letters) "do not apply sealant inside the cabinet, only to the outside".

I would have thought it more desirable to stop water getting behind the brackets, rather than letting it get behind and then stopping it from coming out the other side.

Doing it the way they say will result in an accumulation of guck in the crevice, as I discovered after removing the old cabinet.

Any comments please.

Sponsored Links
Any water that gets in there (through steam or screwholes or unsound silicon seal for example) has to be able to drain away - sealing it on the inside may end up with it draining onto the floor outside, whereas sealing on the outside will make the water drain into the shower tray which is preferable. ;)

The way you describe it does make sense and should in theory by right. Unfortunately, experience yields a different reality :mad:

Thanks for that - I see the point. You can't guarantee a perfect seal on the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back