Shower cartridge not budging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

The cartridge on my shower tap has seized up after about 10 years of use. So the plan is to fit a new one. However, the old one simply is not budging. I sprayed on some WD-40 but it won't twist at all (attached pic).

I read you shouldn't force it by twisting too hard. Is this true or do I simply apply more elbow grease with my spanner?

Any pointers will be most helpful. Thanks all.

James

Attachments

• Cartridgestucks.jpg
    Cartridgestucks.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Some of them have a grub screw (usually 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 mm Allen key) in the underside of the body to keep the cartridge from unscrewing. Use a small mirror like a dental mirror, and a torch, to see if that is the case. If you know the make and model, look up a spares exploded diagram.

Try it tomorrow morning....................after you have had 3 shredded wheat.

Or ask a teenage boy, they normally have a good grip.

Andy

Do you mean the control valve or the thermostatic cartridge?

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys...sorry I mean the control valve (top valve in the pic) which controls the flow/on/off of the shower.

There aren't any grub screws holding it in place. And may have to try the shredded wheat at this rate! Ha.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back