shower circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to connect a 32 amp Wylex (part no wrs 32/2) to my existing
sysem by way of tails? the existing CONSUMER UNIT is a contactum 4 way BSEN 60439-3 (ps the 32 amp wylex is for shower unit) :rolleyes: thanks from icecream[/b]

Sponsored Links
32A seems a bit small for a shower

you can henly a small CU into the tails before the existing CU look at my post in the for reference section

thanks for your reply, you say 32 amp is too small should I be aiming for 45 amp for a 7-8 Kw shower unit?

Sponsored Links
Can you divide 7000 or 8000 by 230?

Even if you are getting a shower that small, I'd advise going the 10mm and 45/50A route, so that when the shower needs replacing, and you heave a sigh of relief and say "at last I can get one that works properly", you'll have the wiring in place.

How long before your electric forum is history,ie a corgi type requirement
before working on electrical apparatus ?

THANKS for the advice
Gerry.C

IEE Acreditation could be the requirement to install electrical apparatus,
personally I would not be in favour for minor work but I am only echoing
a conversation I had recently with a store assistant ( a retired sparky) in the Electrical dept at my local B&Q who was sure that something was on the cards.
Do you think that this is likely scenario.................?
Gerry.C

If it is, they would have to find a better way to enforce it. Anyone can walk into a shed and buy whatever gas fittings they want. Or they can just order them off the net.

And as far as I am aware, you only need a gas safety certificate if you are renting the place out. And you could always tell the tester "that was already here when I bought the place, just test it to make sure it is safe please".

Perhaps if they issued you with a competency certificate after completing a course of evening classes at the local nightschool, and you could only buy electrical bits and bobs by producing your certificate. Can't see it happening though.

You could always go and do 2381 & 2391 at evening classes - that would then be enough to register with NICEIC as a domestic installer...

Part P is actually going further than CORGI. As AdamW said, anybody can work on gas appliances, CORGI is only mandated if you do it for reward, whereas Part P will apply to everyone.

Enforcing it will be another matter.

I'm tempted to not spend lots of money preparing for PP, and leaving the customer to pay the bill for getting the LA to certify. How do you think this will work?

securespark said:
I'm tempted to not spend lots of money preparing for PP, and leaving the customer to pay the bill for getting the LA to certify. How do you think this will work?

If the government actually launch PP properly and inform the public of the new requirements... chaos. Building Control departments will not be able to cope and won't have qualified inspectors anyway, so if the work doesn't go to approved contractors the testing will. Are they still considering only allowing DIY applications for building control inspections, by the way?

Considering that an awful lot of people are still unaware of the impending changes I reckon the majority of domestic work will continue just as it does today with no certification of any kind. I seem to be the only local spark I know who actually issues Minor Works Certs and every day I see examples of recent work done by 'professional electricians' that clearly contravenes 16th Edition.

Part P will only become significant if/when the much-vaunted 'seller's pack' comes into being.

Part P is actually going further than CORGI. As AdamW said, anybody can work on gas appliances, CORGI is only mandated if you do it for reward, whereas Part P will apply to everyone.

The CORGI rules don't just count for reward, they also count if you do DIY gas install on your business premises, in which case the gas installer must be CORGI, so DIY on business premises is illegal.

dingbat said:
Are they still considering only allowing DIY applications for building control inspections, by the way?

Are you saying only DIY work can be inspected by LA?

That's what I'd heard too - basically if someone would qualify as a Competent Person" able to self-certify then they would have to register with one of the schemes so that they could self-certify - BC were being instructed not to accept applications from such persons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back