Fuse for small cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small stand alone hotpoint cooker which according to the label on the back is rated at 933 - 10.15kw.

It is currently connected to a 40 amp fuse in the consumer unit.

Would it be ok to reconnect it to my spare 32 amp fuse in the consumer unit in order to free up the 40 amp fuse to make way for a small 8.5kw shower I want to fit.

Sponsored Links
Seeing as your cooker is more powerful than your shower it will not work on a 32A Your cooker has a an allowance for diversity which means it is fine on a 40A but could cause problems if put on a 32A WHy do you not just get another 40A fuse/MCB and replace the 32 with that ? saves a lot of hassle mioving cables in the fuseboard and will make it safer too.

Nick

Yes you can protect it using a 32A MCB.
Remember fitting a shower falls under Part P.

Seeing as your cooker is more powerful than your shower it will not work on a 32A

Of course it will work!

Your cooker has an allowance for diversity...

Not quite. Diversity can be allowed for when designing the circuit.

...which means it is fine on a 40A but could cause problems if put on a 32A

And the calculation for diversity is?

Rated current: 44.13A

First 10A + 30% of remainder + 5A if s/o incorporated.

So, on that calculation, INCLUDING a s/o, the figure comes out at 25.24A.

Sponsored Links
Seeing as your cooker is more powerful than your shower it will not work on a 32A Your cooker has a an allowance for diversity which means it is fine on a 40A but could cause problems if put on a 32A WHy do you not just get another 40A fuse/MCB and replace the 32 with that ? saves a lot of hassle mioving cables in the fuseboard and will make it safer too.

Nick

Of course the cookers larger sorry.

If I could find a 40amp Wylex NSB Type 2 it would be easy but I am having probs locating one. Seen some similar in B&Q but not sure if they fit as slightly different.

These are the type I need

[/img]

I don't think you are supposed to have more than one 40A outgoing circuit per consumer unit, but consult the manufacturers literature to confirm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back